Runners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
I get out first thing,otherwise i wouldnt go,too many things can get in the way later in the day.Its a great metabalism booster and the benifit from that early run can carry right through the day:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't agree with that. Skipping the gait analysis and decent shoes could guarantee that a beginning runner doesn't enjoy running and could lead to injury. Hit up a running specialty store and get some advice on picking runners, then get a decent pair of shoes. Your feet will thank you.

Cheers
Jim
I have to 2nd that. I initially started running last June in my cheap old trainers, I didnt realise just how flat footed I was and after a few weeks ended up with very painful knees and could hardly walk for a several weeks after and needed physio.

I now have some decent trainers and started running again, it feels much more comfortable and have now managed a few 5km without any problems.

If you don't want to spend a fortune then running shops don't all charge for gait analysis. I went to a running shop just to browse and they offered to check my running out and advise on what I needed, I could of gone and bought a cheaper pair elsewhere, though I did end up buying their rather expensive trainers. I'm still running (slowly) so I think it was money very well spent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, new to all of this so sorry if this seems a daft question.

I started running last week and have been for 4 x 1 mile run - just keeping things low key at the moment. My aim is to complete a 1/2 marathon in July; do you think this is an acheivable goal? I did used to be reasonably fit but have a had a few years of doing absolutely nothing so not in the best of shape now:(

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Humphrey they reckon you need 12 weeks to train for a HM so I don't see a problem with you aiming for that at all! Do you have an iPhone? There are good training apps available.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've got a 3.7k route that goes in a circle via the cycle tracks around my house, so I figured I would try and do that regularly first before building up to my 5k, which is in July.

I've walked it the last 2 nights and I'm gonna have a go jogging it (probably with a lot of walking) tonight once my dinner goes down! Wish me luck :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great post - just thought I'd share my experience... as a complete beginning

I started in 2009. I'd been walking (a border collie) for the last 6 or so years - which means at least 30 mins every morning and evening - and often walks of 1 to 2 hours.

When we moved country, initially, we didn't have the dog - so, I began running to get some exercise.

I began running around the walls in Chester - one of the nicest runs possible - but could only get half way around - ie. half the 2ml distance.

So, I would certainly qualify as a beginner. I would walk back the remaining mile or so.

I've managed to keep running about twice a week on average - and over the past 3 years I've increased this to an average of 3 or 4km runs but can go further - 5, 6 or 7.

Recently, I entered a 5k race - and I didn't come last - which I was quite happy about!

I think the key point for anyone beginning from a moderate or low fitness base - as I later discovered I was - is to give yourself time.

As Hrun says, you've got to give your body time to adapt.

I'm mid 40's so my body took a bit of time - but I've dropped about 5 or 6 kg in weight whilst also building up leg muscle.

I guess I'd say that I didn't realise how unfit I really was - and hence, it took me a lot longer to gain the strength to run further.

Certainly, for the first year or so, it was my lungs that felt they were bursting - now it is more about muscle strength and what I ate before I went running that I notice.

Hope this is of help to other beginners.

Br
Neil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Super unfit beginner

I spent a lot of my time walking but I'm still very unfit (in my opinion) and want to get fitter and lose a bit of weight. I'm 5'6 and weigh 11 stone but would be a lot happily to lose a stone.

Starting on this guide and building it up how long will it roughly take to notice a difference? My problem is I want to notice things straight away or I feel like I haven't achieved anything! I want to aim to run about 3 or 4 times a week. I just need the commitment to do it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to know about the right shoes - is there something I should pay attention to? I read these four tips - is there anything important to add to this? A company you would suggest especially? I am about to found a little group of beginners and start running with them - i would like to give them some information before starting and would be glad if you could help me out

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just wanted to say I started running seriously again last November. When I started again I could only do 2 miles max! But now I'm doing 22 mile training runs and further easily with a marathon next week. Already booking runs next year and am thinking of going ultra!

I won't go into huge detail about the journey but just wanted to say if anyone new has any questions just give me a shout :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
First Run huge success... very motivated... tell me nice things :)

Hey Guys & Gals,

So I don't really have a question, I just wanted to share. I haven't really ever run outside before. I used to run on a treadmill to warm up for the gym but that was it. I'm a 31 year old Irish overweight guy (95kg) who has had a pretty sedentary job up until now but do enjoy swimming or gymming when I have the chance.

Recently I've arrived in Barcelona with the aim of getting fit here and losing weight. I'll be here for at least two or three months and am not working or doing anything else, so I'm dedicated. Today I went for my first run and it was brilliant!

I didn't measure the distance but I ran for an hour and fifteen minutes (stopping to stretch three times), from Passeig de Gracia to the top peak of the Parque Gruell (the gaudi park). There was a significant incline so I took it nice and easy. Also, I pulled my calf muscle previously (last year) so didn't want to overdo it. Even though it was lashing rain, I really got into it, bouncing around in puddles etc. and got proper soaked, deadly stuff :)

So after my first run, I'm thinking the following things:
1. I need gloves and a hat (my head and hands were a bit cold)
2. I need a heartrate monitor (any suggestions for a cheap one??)
3. I think my runners are OK, they feel good and supportive, do I really need this gait thing?
4. I don't know whether I should listen to music or not, today I didn't!
5. Should I try to join a running group or get a running mate, how would I go about that? (I'm new in barcelona, maybe it would be a good way to meet people!)
6. I'm going to start doing some kind of structured training. I'm looking at Hal Higdon's programmes that a friend referred me to.

However, what I'm really thinking about is.... my first Marathon... arghhhhhhhhh! I don't even want to write the words down or speak them out loud cos I'm so unsure of it. But it just so happens that the Barcelona Marathon is the 20th of March. You have to register by the 20th of February... Would it be doable to do a marathon training programme in that time (taking into account that I'm not actually working or doing anything else)?

OK, so I started by sharing, but now I am asking questions (and just generally ranting), but I really enjoyed my run today. I think it could be the start of something beautiful ;-)

Thanks for reading,

Conor.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts