Runners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I am a new runner, in my 4'th week now. I made the mistake of wearing the wrong type of trainers, so I totally agree with the fact that is very important to wear properly fitted shoes. Although I had a strong desire to give up with every step I was running in my first week, I began to feel better by the second and love it by the third. My problem is that I currently suffer with headaches caused by blocked sinuses (for a few days now), and I don't know whether is safe to run or whether I should wait until I get rid of it. I am currently treating them and I feel a bit better, but I am anxious to get back to running.
Thanks
http://www.gps-watch.org

·
Registered
16 Posts
Excellent post, stage 2 where you say if your unfit and have not exercised for a while,and being a shock to the system is so true.My first run, i did everything wrong, got right into a fast jogfor a mile or so realy pushing myself when i got back home i felt unwell and felt like i was going to collapse, my legs went heavy and felt sick.I had to sit down and calm myself and convince myself i wasnt having a heart attack, proper scared the crap out of me, what didnt help was running on low glycogen levels as well, wiser now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well , Three 20 minute runs/walks in and I'm still going.
Not feeling too bad after each outing, apart from the 1st one when I forgot about stretching off, but I am still proudly getting up early to get out.
I've been lucky with the weather so this week might be harder when the rain comes!
What I am enjoying is realising that I've run further each time before slowing to a walk and then the walking phases aren't as long each time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am new here and want to start to except that have no idea how. Will read this thread a bit and pick up some tips :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Welcome. Couch to 5km is the perfect way to start. Let us know how you get on anyway once you start. There is a thread running on people doing it (like me).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have tried and failed to stick to a running routine, struggling to fit it in with other exercise I do.I really enjoy running and will be trying again, I will use the run/walk method to begin with and see how I do.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have tried and failed to stick to a running routine, struggling to fit it in with other exercise I do.I really enjoy running and will be trying again, I will use the run/walk method to begin with and see how I do.
It can be hard if you are doing other exercise too. Just take your time and build up slowly when you can fit it in. I am on week 6 of c25k now and enjoying running again (was running up to 10 miles at a time 2 years ago). Swimming is the best alternative exercise as it's non impact but works a lot if muscles. Either way it's about enjoyment. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I started running age 53, using couch to 5k. I have never exercised before this so was pretty chuffed at my achievement, however I find my hips and ankles kill me when I get up first thing, so my question is am I doing more harm than good?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Maybe you need more rest days. But if in doubt, check with your Gp!

·
Registered
184 Posts
If in doubt seek the doctor ...
Same age and I'm 12 months down the road after returning to running after a long break and adding some serious weight.
I found that once I got to running over 20 mins things started to complain, tendons,muscles, joints seemed like everything.
It seems to me that the small niggles can be trained on with care, in my case these pains ease as the muscles and tendons get stronger. Even now I'm starting to get trouble with my hips again, before Christmas it was my left now it's my right, but I know that with time and care the joint will get stronger .
At least that's how it has been for me and I don't expect them to go away for some time yet.
I know it's difficult expecially when you have seen great gains but don't worry about resting a niggle for a few days (even weeks) just don't go too far and do damage that will lay you up for months....
Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi looks like I'm in need of advice.
I ran about 7 yrs ago and still have the trainers, should I buy new or no and my shift patterns are different everyday and I feel more awake at night, does it really matter what time I run and how long till I run after a eat.. nervous starting out again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. This was useful info for me, as I'm starting again after a long break. When you have been running before, and you are starting again, you really have to remind yourself to take it easy during first weeks :)

141 - 160 of 163 Posts