Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have progressed to a regular 2 mile run/jog which I can 'generally' finish in just under 18 minutes. I may do this 2 or 3 times a week. I have run 3.5 miles a few times but this was on the roads with colleagues and none of us had any idea how long it took!

This morning for instance I did the 2 miles on the track. I could probably have really pushed myself and done one more lap but I think it would have been a slow one. I am doing this only for myself not for any races and I suppose to keep my body in an ok shape. Should I therefor be aiming to do say 2 miles as fast as I can or should I aim for maybe 3 miles but at a slower pace?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'd say it depends what seems more fun to you at the time, OtH. If you want to run long-distance, then the extra slow mile would probably help more

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
mix it up! do some longer runs (3+ miles) slowly, then do your 2 mile quick runs nice and hard! You should notice over time that your 2mile runs get quicker and/or that you can sustain your 9min/mile pace longer :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I agree with Richardsimkiss, mix it up and after a while your slow 3 miles will soon be increasing to 3.5 / 4!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
As basic as it sounds, the only real way to make your body run better, is to make it run more! That's certainly the philosophy i've adopted and if it doesn't work i'll be quite peeved! lol.

I don't think it's until you've been running for a fair while that true speed sessions, fartlek, threshold runs etc. come into play and will make much difference!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I know you have mentioned not running in any races but perhaps if you entered a 10k and followed a schedule it would give you something to aim for, plus you get the buzz of the race. They're great fun :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
twinkle toes is right! The majority of people who enter a race aren't doing it to be competitive, and know full well they have zero chance of winning, but they do it cos it's such a great feeling! Give it a go and i'm sure you'd be pleasantly suprised!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
think 10k may be a bit ambitious for me at the moment. Would give a 5 or 6 k one a go though . There dont seem to be a great deal about in the Midlands at the moment but I am keeping an eye on various places so I get to know whats coming up

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
generally speaking there are more competitive runners at a 5k than there are at a 10k. In my experience 10k's attract a wider variety of runners, wheras there are more speedier runners at 5k races.

So OTH I would aim for a 10k first... if you can run 4.5 miles fairly comfortable then you'll be fine with a 10k

Trust me... I'm a runner ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts