Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope you are all well.

Just looking to see whether anyone has experienced a loss of fitness due to the loss of a close family member? I tried to google this but, no matter how I worded it, just got thousands of results about the benefits of running on grief.

I have been fell/trail running for about 15 years now and at the start of the year I was feeling really strong and running well.

In mid April I lost my dad to lung cancer and I don't know whether it's just coincidental but I've been finding running really tough since. I've found my heart rate whilst running is higher, even though my resting is still pretty low. I've been running out of steam really quickly and just stopping to walk or stand and enjoy the scenery.

I've also done an (albeit inaccurate as I've just used my Garmin) Vo2 max test, which has showed a decrease since April.

It may just be coincidence but I just wondered whether it's something anyone else can relate to.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. I'm afraid I don't have any advice I can offer you or any personal experience, but I don't think it's really that surprising that after losing your father, that you would lose your running mojo to a certain extent.

If I were you, I'd just keep running, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself for a while. Try just to enjoy the running for its own sake and not stress too much about losing a bit of fitness.

Take care.

·
Registered
829 Posts
You might want to google something like «detraining». I believe even after as short as 2 weeks without training you can lose some fitness. I can imagine training might have been pushed out for a while around your bereavement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I hope you are all well.

Just looking to see whether anyone has experienced a loss of fitness due to the loss of a close family member? I tried to google this but, no matter how I worded it, just got thousands of results about the benefits of running on grief.

I have been fell/trail running for about 15 years now and at the start of the year I was feeling really strong and running well.

In mid April I lost my dad to lung cancer and I don't know whether it's just coincidental but I've been finding running really tough since. I've found my heart rate whilst running is higher, even though my resting is still pretty low. I've been running out of steam really quickly and just stopping to walk or stand and enjoy the scenery.

I've also done an (albeit inaccurate as I've just used my Garmin) Vo2 max test, which has showed a decrease since April.

It may just be coincidence but I just wondered whether it's something anyone else can relate to.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I relate.

We are all experiencing loss of one kind or another. Your loss I imagine, is magnified by the global Pandemic; loss of movement, etc., and most importantly, loss of Connection. As humans we require connection and losing another connection, in this case your family member, puts a big dent in your overall motivation. This is what I’m experiencing. Every day is a battle; from getting out of bed to putting on some clothing let alone lacing up my trail shoes. I have lost both my parents and many friends. Loss of connecting with others is causing a wave of International depression and sadness especially, since we know that the major crises of the world could be better managed.

So here’s what has been working for me:

1. Acceptance of my sadness and loss of connection​
  2. Accept that I’m doing the dance; a dance of feeling that, “I should go for a run.” “I should be more positive and happy all the time.” And that “I should be trying to make money more than I should be running.” And, that most other people, runners and non-runners are experiencing the same emotions/thoughts.​
  3. I try to remember how much my perspective and emotions change for the better are after I run​
  4. I don’t “have to” run, I can exercise at home​
  5. I connect with friend virtually​
  6. I talk with a therapist when needed​
  7. I’m going to feel like shit some days, (sometimes it’s moment)​
  8. I feed a pet my neighbor’s horses​
  9. I clean the house​
  10. We have new ‘norms in our topsy-turvy’ world for which I use imaginative empathy​
I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts