Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im new to the site, I ran my first marathon this year (london) and Im hooked! im doing the berlin marathon in september, and I was wondering has anyone got any course tips, I heard its quite flat but thats about it! Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks All,

AL.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I haven't done Berlin, but lived there for a year. Hopefully, I'll do the marathon next year.

The whole city is flat and there will be plenty of sights to see on the course, which will hopefully make the course quite interesing for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Al.

Not done Berlin either but quite fancy doing it someday.

You'll have to report back!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I ran Berlin in 2006. Ended up dropping out at halfway as it was very hot. Not the best organise race ever. Start was very cramped and the drink stations for such a hot day were terrible.
Not one I would go back to personally!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi AlClark,
here you can find the course with many different options:
( oops, can´t post the link cause I´m new ).
Have a look at gpsies com and search for the Berlin Marathon race course
Berlin is very flat and perfect for a fast race.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Berlin Marathon 2009

Well,

It's something like 25 weeks to go until the Berlin marathon, so the maintenance running is out the window and it's time to start running in a more goal oriented way. Thinking positive after the defeat at Reykjavik (finished, but an hour slower than planned due to injury). Try to wear my Reykjavik t-shirt to train in as often as it's clean - great motivation.

Word to the wise: start looking for hotels ASAP. Sunday night after the race is really tough due to some kind of convention in town. When I was searching the internet for rooms during my stay, almost nothing was available, but it was all down to that Sunday night.

Alclark -- still got your sights set on Berlin?

:A)>

Andrew

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I entered the race too and have my flights and hotel booked a few months ago. I'm staying in the Ibis near Ostbahnhof, which is only a few stops away from the start. I'm flying out on the Friday and coming home on the Tuesday, so I'll have Sunday afternoon and Monday to relax before travelling home.

ADD has a good point about hotels filling up - not only is the conference on, there is also the general election the following week, so Berlin will be really busy with all the politicians. The election is the reason that the marathon is being held a week earlier than usual.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Note to self, before booking flights check expo times, stupidly I don't arrive in Berlin until after the expo closes, consequently I can't get my number e.t.c. Hopefully some kind sole from my hotel will pick it up for me.

Is it time for a Berlon 09 role call?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts