Runners Forum banner

How should this be solved?

• Leave things as they are

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Find a suitable way for them to be produced in the UK

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Remove medals from events entirely

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Offer the option of a medal in the runner's entry fee - runners don't have to accept one

• Replace medals with another product

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having worked in the events industry I know the majority of bespoke medals are still made in China and shipped thousands of miles despite the industry's attempts to push for greater sustainability.

I would really like to know what runners think about this. Is there a need for medals to be produced and sourced locally from recycled materials? The Tokyo Olympic medals are made from old phones for example. Is there a need for medals at all anymore?

If interested please provide your thoughts and or complete the below poll.

·
4,316 Posts
I have no interest in medals for mass participation events, real or virtual. The only medals that I value are my County Championship medals and other races where I have made the podium. Those medals were won not just given for taking part. I can fully understand that others may have a different view.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreeing with @double5 . Unfortunately if I don't have a chance to decline a medal (it's usually put around my neck when I am trying to recover and gasping with hands on kneees) then it goes in the bin at home

1 - 3 of 3 Posts