Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As a newbie and now outside of the UK. (living in Prague)
I noticed there are now quite a few half marathons about in the UK.

Im hoping to do the 2007 GNR. But read its way too many people now and bit chaotic. However as Im from North East its a place I want to do and dont have to worry about accomodation etc.

But what other half marathons in UK are good and why?
e.g. crowds, PB, organisation, course -hilly, flat, boring, interesting!

Any input appreciated.

Prahalady

·
Registered
151 Posts
Said this before, but the best half marathon has to be Aviemore. Absolute stunning scenery the likes I thought didn't exist in this country. Part road, part trail, part forestry roads, it is not a PB course. The organisation is second to none, and Aviemore really is a beautiful and lively little highland town.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
The GNR is crowded but worth doing if you're from the NE. I only do it 'cause I live up here. I did the Glasgow half marathon last year and was pleasantly suprised - found it a really nice, fast course with good support. Very well organised as well.

Boab said:
Said this before, but the best half marathon has to be Aviemore. Absolute stunning scenery the likes I thought didn't exist in this country. Part road, part trail, part forestry roads, it is not a PB course. The organisation is second to none, and Aviemore really is a beautiful and lively little highland town.
When is the Aviemore Boab? Just been looking at what halfs I'm going to do this year and fancy doing something I've not done before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Just had a look at the Aviemore run website. Wow, does look stunning place to run. Makes a change from city running!!

Definatly going to make a note of this run. Looks good.

Thanks I had no idea Aviemore had a half marathon!

Prahalady

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've only run one, Bristol, loved it !! - great course, mostly flat but last years organisation needed a lot to be desired (mainly at the finish)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Silverstone and Southend both I would reccomend except Southend was in June the only thing spoilt it was it was too too HOT... Great facilities at both

Am doing Brands Hatch this Sat so will let you know, it is a hilly course so not looking to get a PB but will be a good training session for Silverstone in March...

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I have never ran the Aviemore half but I lived up on the Cairngorms just a few miles outside the town (by Loch Morlich) and that was what I would call perfect training ground.
So I bet the Aviemore half (which, if I'm not mistaken, starts near Loch Morlich) is a serious candidate for the best. Not for PBs though.

The best one I have done in the UK (and this one DEFINITELY NOT for a PB) was the Harris Half Marathon.
Very hilly but beautiful. If you pace yourself well, the last 5 miles are downhill, the problem is trying not to burn out on the huge climb that comes before that.
It's on the Isle of Harris - Outer Hebrides - Scotland.

(check details on www.srac.org.uk).

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
There's a training camp in Portugal... I know someone who went and they said it was good

There's also the Lisbon marathon, if that's still going

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I find the best half marathons are the ones that are run by small to medium sized running clubs, because they seem more friendly with less emphasis on profit with more emphasis on putting on a good enjoyable event.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi Steve, Trinity :)

There is a training camp in the south of Portugal (somewhere in the Algarve province). One of the frequent visitors is Jelena Prokopcuka.

The Lisbon marathon (December) has a very flat course but is usually very windy, with very few spectators and less than 500 runners.

The Lisbon Half-Marathon in March (18th this year) is very good for the scenery (it crosses a big bridge coming into Lisbon) but not good for times. Two reasons:

1-The drop from start to finish is too much for the times to be considered "official" by the IAAF.

2-Together with the half marathon there is a shorter race and altogether there are 35.000 runners starting... I can tell you... It takes a lot of work, elbowing, pushing and balance to make it through the first 400m.

So, I would recommend this race if you are looking for a "tour-race" where you will get beautiful views of a beautiful city. But no more than that.

Otherwise, like Trinity said, it's the smaller events that become the best running/racing experiences. Actually, my PB in the half marathon was set in a race with less than 50 runners in a beautiful area in the countryside not far from Lisbon.

Steve - if you seriously consider coming here to run/race, let me know and I will look for all the races available :)
The mountain-running circuit has some pretty challenging and beautiful races too.

;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts