Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a 5k tomorrow at 6.30 and am wondering what an ideal food intake would be throughout the day.

I always find that I run better in the mornings than after work so would like some advice as to what would be a decent meal plan.

I usually have porridge for breakfast anyway so that is fine but am not so sure about lunch and pre race snack. I know it is only a 5k but I don't want to feel sluggish (and I really want to do it in sub 20min!!).

·
Registered
147 Posts
AdamD said:
I am doing a 5k tomorrow at 6.30 and am wondering what an ideal food intake would be throughout the day.

I always find that I run better in the mornings than after work so would like some advice as to what would be a decent meal plan.

I usually have porridge for breakfast anyway so that is fine but am not so sure about lunch and pre race snack. I know it is only a 5k but I don't want to feel sluggish (and I really want to do it in sub 20min!!).
best thing to do is have a easy carb day, id sugest this. Im going on the fact you have fair body stature,

Morning
Meal 1 - Toast/Jam - 2 Slices (small frame) 4 (larger frame)
Do you S-S-S (Shower/Sh*t/Shave)
Meal 2 - Around 10ish - 4 x Weetabix

Lunch - 12-30 ish
Baked spud with tuna mayo - and a bag of that micro veg

Evening meal - 4ish
Sliced chicken sandwich (i mean cooked chicken breast and brown bread) Bit of salad, and i always like a tin of that mixed beans from asda.

When you finish - Have a good protien meal, maybe a sliced grill steak, with some spices, some potatoe wedges and a savory rice, and a load of salad.

Again remeber to drink shit loads of water, de-hydration can reduce your peformance by 7-10%

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks

All sounds good but I have hardly any of that in and won't have time to get any of it before the race!

Porridge isn't a bad way to start is it? I thought about then buying a salad of some sort around 1pm and then a small snack (protein bar?) 30-40 mins before the race?

Being only 5k, I don't think it's too much of an issue but I just hate the slightly sluggish feeling I have for the first 10 mins of an evening, bearing in mind that 10 mins is practically half of the race!!

Fruit? Or is that too carb/sugar heavy?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your best off eating protien after as its the thing that repairs the muscle tissue, im sure there is a baked spud shop near your house/work. Crumpets are a good one early morning.

Make sure your banging the water down!! it might be why your feeling slugish.

The above is nothing! ha ha...........im on 7 meals a day at the moment. Mind its not for running.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7 meals a day? Crikey, I thought I ate a lot!!

Think I may have to forget the science this time as the plan is to go for a pizza in the evening!! It's pre race I'm more concerned about..

Usually drink 1.5-2 litres a day even if I go for a run. I guess that I should really be drinking another litre on running days (usually 45-50 mins)...

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I do 5K 6 days a week plus a couple of miles walk on an average of less than 2500 calories a day as I am losing weight.

The experts may say otherwise buy I would eat as normal during the day and then treat myself in the evening to celebrate my achievement.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hrun said:
I do 5K 6 days a week plus a couple of miles walk on an average of less than 2500 calories a day as I am losing weight.

The experts may say otherwise buy I would eat as normal during the day and then treat myself in the evening to celebrate my achievement.
Good idea.. It will only be an achievement if I can do it in 20 mins. However, I am basing that on my one and only 10k race time of 41.08 (which was in the morning and perfect conditions though).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hrun said:

Within reason, treats are great!

Really good for the soul!

Just dont over do it, so keep up the good work.

Super achievement i say

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Hrun said:
Same here.

Also, if I'm doing my club 5km races, I'll eat before I go as I go home from work first. It's never caused me any problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just remember to drink a lot of water during the day because some people kind of forget that.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was all good in the end; I didn't follow any particular meal plan and managed 19 mins 15, perhaps that would have been sub 19 had I not had a pack of haribo before hand!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stacka said:
best thing to do is have a easy carb day, id sugest this. Im going on the fact you have fair body stature,

Morning
Meal 1 - Toast/Jam - 2 Slices (small frame) 4 (larger frame)
Do you S-S-S (Shower/Sh*t/Shave)
Meal 2 - Around 10ish - 4 x Weetabix

Lunch - 12-30 ish
Baked spud with tuna mayo - and a bag of that micro veg

Evening meal - 4ish
Sliced chicken sandwich (i mean cooked chicken breast and brown bread) Bit of salad, and i always like a tin of that mixed beans from asda.

When you finish - Have a good protien meal, maybe a sliced grill steak, with some spices, some potatoe wedges and a savory rice, and a load of salad.

Again remeber to drink shit loads of water, de-hydration can reduce your peformance by 7-10%

Pretty close to what I have....not to much of a fan of mixed beans though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts