Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm new running and exercise in general really. As well as becoming more active I want to overhaul my diet to help. What are the best things to eat when running? I've heard carbs are the way to go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Liz3yy said:
Ok I'm new running and exercise in general really. As well as becoming more active I want to overhaul my diet to help. What are the best things to eat when running? I've heard carbs are the way to go?
Carbs, and Protien.

In essence with out the bull..... Carbs give you energy, things like pasta, bread, and weetabix! Protien repairs muscles, fish, chicken, red meats etc etc.

try and eat boat loads of veg and fruit, and by far the most important thing! DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!!

Each week, have a treat.....good for the soul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Hrun said:
Admire your dedication! Where do you find the time
2 things really

I like to see people achieve things and feel good about it

And i really admire everyone here for making the effort to look after themselves, its a great feeling beeing arund you type of people.

and as for the Marines

I have nothing in my life, so the marines will be my family. And i want the oppourtunity to become a better educated man and a fitter and stronger man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Hi all

I mentioned before that since I started running I have really been watching what I eat and drink.

No alcohol now, drink quite a lot of water (actually needing a pee now) and a protein drink once a day usually after a run or when I do my weights (twice a week) I still drink far too much coffee despite having heaps of Green tea at home and in my drawer at work. Love that stuff but always seem to be filling up with more coffee.

Porridge for breakfast with black grape juice and a Yakult.

Lunch is usually 1.5 chicken breasts, chillies, sweet peppers and a huge helping of baby spinach followed by a banana and two kiwi fruits.

Tea time is usually something light and never eat a lot. Tends to be peanut butter on toast.

One thing I am addicted to is Tesco's Salt and Vinegar Rice Cakes. If you have not tried them give them a go. I am confident you will be addicted. They are good for you too!

I have lost some weight too sticking to this and running/weights. The gut is going and the six pack begining to form.

I really needs tips on how to reduce body fat while still enjoying my food.

Cheers

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
garywatt said:
Hi all

I mentioned before that since I started running I have really been watching what I eat and drink.

No alcohol now, drink quite a lot of water (actually needing a pee now) and a protein drink once a day usually after a run or when I do my weights (twice a week) I still drink far too much coffee despite having heaps of Green tea at home and in my drawer at work. Love that stuff but always seem to be filling up with more coffee.

Porridge for breakfast with black grape juice and a Yakult.

Lunch is usually 1.5 chicken breasts, chillies, sweet peppers and a huge helping of baby spinach followed by a banana and two kiwi fruits.

Tea time is usually something light and never eat a lot. Tends to be peanut butter on toast.

One thing I am addicted to is Tesco's Salt and Vinegar Rice Cakes. If you have not tried them give them a go. I am confident you will be addicted. They are good for you too!

I have lost some weight too sticking to this and running/weights. The gut is going and the six pack begining to form.

I really needs tips on how to reduce body fat while still enjoying my food.

Cheers

Gary
PM me, your diet sounds a bit unbalanced. And maybe your excercise too, im not a expert at running at all. But body stature i know a bit about.

Stacka
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Stacka said:
Yep i never (or very rarely) buy froma supermarket. Everything comes from butchers, fishmongers, fruit and veg shop etc.

Remarkably i save a massive amount on my grocery bill, and thats important.

****and my wouldnt i like to be examined by her*****

he he
If you get chance, grab a copy of "Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate" it really is an eye opening read....

Sunday Times
'A stark, challenging and compelling book’

Book Description
Did you know...

That half the chicken on sale in UK supermarkets is contaminated with campylobacter, which causes food poisoning?

That much of the chicken we eat has been illicitly injected with pork and beef proteins?

That ready-to-eat bagged salad has been washed in a solution of chlorine twenty times stronger than that of a swimming pool; that the processing destroys the vitamin content; that in one government study 13.5% of bagged salads were found to contain E coli bacteria?

That perhaps 30% of the workforce in the food industry is in the UK illegally, controlled by a violent mafia-style network of gangmasters and paid far less than the minimum wage?

That the average Briton has between 300 and 500 chemicals in their body not present 50 years ago, many of which are capable of hormone disruption in the womb?

That the incidence of obesity in the UK trebled between 1980 and 1998 to 21% of women and 17% of men. Almost one third of children are obese or overweight?

That 30-40% of cancers could be prevented through better diet?

A devastating expose of the state of the food production industry in Britain, Not On The Label will change the way we eat and the way we think about what we eat.

Looking at some of our most popular foods, the author sytematically exposes their production and marketing, showing how the food industry causes ill health, environmental damage, urban blight - and starves smallholders in Africa and Asia, and exploits illegal labourers in Britain.

Synopsis
An expose of the state of the food production industry in Britain. The author looks at some of the most popular foods we eat to show how the food industry causes ill health, environmental damage, urban blight, starving small-holders in Africa and Asia, and illegal labourers exploited in Britain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Liz3yy said:
Ok I'm new running and exercise in general really. As well as becoming more active I want to overhaul my diet to help. What are the best things to eat when running? I've heard carbs are the way to go?

fish and potatoes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Stacka maybe you should do diet plans as a sideliner, probably be a nice little earner!:)
I have booked an appointment next week with GP to try pursuade him to refer me to a dietician, i'm not holding my breath though, I reckon I'm going to have to fork out for it privately!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Liz3yy said:
Ok I'm new running and exercise in general really. As well as becoming more active I want to overhaul my diet to help. What are the best things to eat when running? I've heard carbs are the way to go?
Over time, experiment with the food you eat and get a grasp of how it effects you and your performance.

You need all three food macros in your diet...carbs, Protein and fats

Carbs are needed as a fuel. good sources are oats, wholegrain rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, Fruit and veg. Avoid white pasta and white bread. Its Just junk food.

Protein is the building block of every cell, muscle and organ in your body. Its required to help your bodys growth, recovery and overall health. If you lack in protein then the body will break down its own tissue (not fat tissue, muscle and organs) and cannibalize you!

Fats are soooo important. You need to get an understanding of what consitutes a "trans fat" .....and avoid it like the plague. those are the fats that kill you! Never eat margarine or elmlea cream. The best spread to use is unsalted natural butter (organic, free range or grass fed). Anchor is Very good. Butter is a dense source great nutrition.
Eat Oily fish like salmon and mackerel to get more Omega 3 oily fats. Also, eat grass fed red meat and free range whole eggs. these both contain lots of great healthy fats. Use either monounsaturated (olive oil) or saturated fats for cooking (lard, full fat butter or coconut oil) as these stay stable and dont oxidise into trans fats. Never use veg oil ...for anything...ever.
If you do the above, your cholesterol profile will be 100X better than the majority of the population. Its will raise HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL (bad cholesterol) leaving you in tip top condition.

Avoid sugary junk

Make sure 90% of your diet is food that has come straight out the ground, straight from a tree or was running, swimming or flying a few days previous to being on your plate. The other 10% is a bit of lea-way for some treats....Good for the soul as Staka would say :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Nothing better than fish and chips. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Yorkie said:
Stacka maybe you should do diet plans as a sideliner, probably be a nice little earner!:)
I have booked an appointment next week with GP to try pursuade him to refer me to a dietician, i'm not holding my breath though, I reckon I'm going to have to fork out for it privately!

Ha ha, i wish i had time......my life revolves around one thing at the moment. sad as it may seem i have my target and nothing will stop it.

Ill do you a diet plan too if you like, im guessing your diet plan is right out the window.

PM me if you need.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top