Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Girls,

I have just discovered the wonders of interval training. It really helps to lose weight. I run for 10 mins at a steady pace and then really run flat out for 3 mins and then back down to a steady pace again (I usually run for 40 mins, three times a week). It really helps to vary your heart rate which is the best way to lose weight because if you just keep running at a steady pace, it's good for you and you get a good cardio work out but you need to lower your heart rate a bit to burn fat.

Works for me, let me know if it's any use to anyone else.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I have found that just doing lots of miles each week, and especially a long weekend run , results in weight loss regardles of type of running.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
running 20-30 miles each week (long runs on weekends) keeps my weight stable, and I'm not always very strict on what I eat. If i was overweight I'm sure this schedule would make the weight drop off, but I'm pretty much at my ideal/minimal weight (165lbs at 6 ft 1 inch).

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I seem to have plateud at 12st 10lbs... I made it down to 12st7 before xmas but couldn't get under that for love nor money! Hoping I can do though by upping the training as my current weight is simply a hinderance to my progression and goals!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I spent months hovering around 12 stone and then the weight just came off. Everyone seems to reach a plateau at some point, but eventually you get passed it. One thing I did which helped was replace milk with soya.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It can be an acquired taste. You need to try a few brands until you find the one you like. I personally prefer "Alpro Soya So Good" and Marks and Spencer's own brand. Some have sweeteners in them (I would avoid these unless they use natural fruit sweetener). MY ex wife got me into soya, and now I can't live without it. I have it on cereal, in tea and coffee, or straight from the carton. I will still have regular milk in coffee or in recipes if soya isn't available, but to be honest, once you get used to soya, regular milk doesn't taste so good anymore. Also, soya milk has a lot more calcium than regular milk. it is just generally much better for you. I love making my porridge (Dorset Cereal's apple and cinnamon) with soya milk before a long run.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I noticed the weight drop off when I started running, and again when I started doing interval sessions with my local running club.

At the moment, my weight is pretty stable, I'm hoping to lose a bit more, but its not coming off, despite doing speedwork. :(

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
4x Tesco Value Wheat Biscuits (Cheapo Weetabix), with plenty of Soya Milk and a tablespoon of honey.
Glass of OJ (forgot to add calories on from that)
Glass of water
Big Mug of Coffee
Big Mug of Peppermint Tea
Big Mug of Blackberry & Nettle Tea
Tesco Fruit Bar (Cheapo Nutri Grain) (forgot to add cals)
Chicken with a white sauce, peas and sweetcorn.
Bowl of Mushroom Soup. (again forgot the cals from that! lol)

New total cals... 984 (approx) - still a lot to go to reach my recommended amount! I don't usually forgot to add so many things on :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i find it hard to comsume all my intake also.

Richard you drink a lot of tea ;)

I had so far

Bowl of 100% wholegrain shredded wheat with ss milk 218 cals
10 cracker breads with thin butter (clover) 19 cals each with butter i add 6cals each one so 250 cals
One Nutrigrain bar 130 cals
bag of monster munch (spin offs asda own brand) 108 cals
2 satsumas 25 each 50 cals
1 small ruffle bar 130 cals

Total 886 cals

Please note some sugary snacks and savory in my diet :p

I like to eat like a bird and pick throughout the day, so any recommendations for new foods please help... i dont really like to eat bread as it bulks me out.

Normally i eat more fruit but i ran out so only got satsumas today.

and thats all generally what i eat during day, i have ate a little more today because i got speed work this evening, but generally i go gym lunch time too, which i have not today, as i already been everyday this week and ran.

Tuesdays and Thursdays is club runs so when i get in at 8 i have something quick because i dont want to lay on something heavy, so i generally have toast with beans and maybe a egg too.

Other nights i have fish and veg and jacket potato.

And with tea (one a night) i have a biscuit.

I am sorry about your diet granty, like you i have lost weight and still think i would like to loose more .. or for me its a case of more toning up... i have noticed a bit of difference since running but not loads, have you not lost inches Granty instead of pounds ???

Did you measure yourself before and after ???

·
Registered
707 Posts
In the last 3 weeks I lost 10 pounds... god knows why. I don't usually weigh myself (thus 3 weeks between weigh-ins...) and quite frankly I was appalled at the amount of weight I'd lost! I hadn't noticed getting any slimmer (although since then putting on some of my fitted clothes I can definitely see and feel the difference)!

I'm guessing what with doing around 26 miles a week running, 5-8miles of which is either a tempo or intervals, this is probably why I've lost a lot of weight... my diet is very boring... same every day, which is why I know it's not food. Each day I eat:

cup of camomile, honey and vanilla tea
A bowl of kellogs bran flakes with semi skimmed milk
a banana
cup of coffee with smatter of green milk
ham and mustard sarny on granary bread (sometimes ham and hot salsa)
apple
orange
fruit and nut alpen bar OR muller rice (YUM!)
regular dinner food, like salmon and veg, stiry fry, sweet potatoes with pesto and kidney bean filling, spag bol, chilli, chicken with a ton of veg and pesto with a bit of pasta... etc etc, you get the idea
Sometimes have a few squares of dark chocolate after a run, and always a cup of nesquik
Drink a few cups of water on it's own during the day.

So yeah, no idea how many calories that is heh... obviously not enough. Mind you, after I weighed myself I spent the next couple of days eating out - and instead of trying to pick the really healthy options, I just went straight of anything that had chips LOL! Weighed myself again last night, and I was the same!! Anyway, I guess I'm not too sad about it - I'm going to weigh myself every week now to make sure I don't lose anymore weight now, I'm only 8st 7 now, and for 5'2" that's fine... but it's not, cuz I'm built like a tank - that weight to me is quite low.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Good diet almost, its not enough no, but i cannot shout either.

I have been a weight watchers gold member since 2000 so i guess i am stuck in counting mode.

Hard to just let yourself go a bit and have a bit of what you fancy.

I am 5ft 6 and 9 stone, i know i have issues because i still see myself different to how i look in the flesh.

Keep up good work almost.

:d

1 - 20 of 84 Posts