Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this might bore the pants off you, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

I have just had the most fantastic run, I'm certainly never going to win any races, but this comes close! I had time for a long run this morning before work, so instead of the road route I was going to take I did an eight miler through woods and on tracks. The sky was really blue, the sun was coming down through the trees, I saw deer, pheasants, partridges, squirrels, but no human life until the last half mile home! I didn't worry about my time, I just ran and it felt brilliant!

I felt great when I got home, it makes up for all the naff runs in the last year. so there you go, really interesting huh????

Have you got any really memorable training runs? and why?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Fantastic.

Not boring. and I`m glad you shared it with us...........................:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave said:
Fantastic.

Not boring. and I`m glad you shared it with us...........................:)

Thanks Dave, and the best part is I am sure I have 'earned' myself some chocolate!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Thanks Dave, and the best part is I am sure I have 'earned' myself some chocolate!

I always earn myself a pint or two.......................................:d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave said:
I always earn myself a pint or two.......................................:d

oh, did I not mention alcohol.......well when I get back from work at 11:00 tonight, then I MAY have a small drink as well!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Nice one Bagpuss, that is what it is also about enjoying it, it shouldn't all be hardwork.

I had a similar run to you last autumn running through a forest it was great fun, and like you didn't worry about time just enjoyed it. When my training is finished I will go back to that sort of running, for a while anyway until the next race :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Bagpuss, nearly all my runs are like that. It's what keeps me going in my dotage. I cannot understand why people pound the roads in all that traffic and pollution when there are acres of wide open space and fresh air to really get them on a 'runner's high'. And off-road running means less injuries too.
Most of our running is in the Yorkshire Dales, a lot of it above the 1,000ft contour with Grouse, Merlin, Ring Ouzels and Red Kites for company. Or along the banks of the Wharfe with huge trout cruising like submarines just below the surface while brightly coloured Goosanders glide along in all their majesty. Adjacent anemone-strewn woodlands are alive with squirrels, woodpeckers and a cacophony of birdsong.
Best of all are the high mountains of the Lake District and Scotland with all those incredible views, running with the wind in the grass, the mewing of Buzzards, scattering deer as you crest some hill into their territory.
Incidentally, I've recently learned of the death of one of my mentors, a chap called Derek Turnbull who was a sheep farmer in the southernmost part of New Zealand. What I remember him most for was running the 1992 London Marathon - aged 65 - in 2 hours 41 mins. In his lifetime he broke 25 world age-group records and they called him 'The Fastest Old Man in the World'. The amazing thing about him was, he never wore a stop-watch, never wore socks, was never coached and never trained on a track. After he'd finished work on the farm he'd take off into the hills and run, for as long as he cared, just for the pure joy of running - often humming or singing to himself as he bowled along. To me, that's what running is all about.
Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Granty said:
They were the days .....................................! :huh: :p

Well if you can remember back that far, try and put the same effort into the Bath Half!!!:d :d :d :d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
They were the days .....................................! :huh: :p
Just count it as part of your training schedule.............

Long runs,.................Not speed training...................:d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Dave said:
Just count it as part of your training schedule.............

Long runs,.................Not speed training...................:d
Mind you a sprint leaves time for MOTD!


Nice one Baggy. I have similar feeling runs sometimes when I run along the coast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
Mind you a sprint leaves time for MOTD!
Can`t remember the last time I wanted to watch MOTD.(we don`t win very often...:( )

No comment needed from you Hot Foot................:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Dave said:
Can`t remember the last time I wanted to watch MOTD.(we don`t win very often...:( )

No comment needed from you Hot Foot................:mad:
Well I don't watch it much either and if I do it's the Sunday am re-run.

Hot Foot's lot will get their comeuppance tonight...and wasn't it sad to see them throw away that 3-1 lead against Chelski!! Where did they learn that art?!:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Runningfox said:
Bagpuss, nearly all my runs are like that. It's what keeps me going in my dotage. I cannot understand why people pound the roads in all that traffic and pollution when there are acres of wide open space and fresh air to really get them on a 'runner's high'. And off-road running means less injuries too.
Most of our running is in the Yorkshire Dales, a lot of it above the 1,000ft contour with Grouse, Merlin, Ring Ouzels and Red Kites for company. Or along the banks of the Wharfe with huge trout cruising like submarines just below the surface while brightly coloured Goosanders glide along in all their majesty. Adjacent anemone-strewn woodlands are alive with squirrels, woodpeckers and a cacophony of birdsong.
Sounds fantastic is all this on your doorstep or do you have to travel a little bit? I must try and brave Dartmoor this summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,339 Posts
My lips are sealed Dave.No comment coming from me.Unless we don't get our comeuppance tonight of course.It will go pear shaped for us soon though.It's something I've come to expect!

Chelski.:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Bagpuss what a great run. I am going out tomorrow morning while children at school , it has made me think where should i go - i think Dartmoor here come..
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top