Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:d What is the most miles you have ever done in a single day and also the most miles in a week?

I did 28 miles in one day at the Belfast Marathon last year.
Biggest week was 109 on a training camp in Portugal in 2004.

I aim to do 100+ when I go to Portugal this spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Highest day was Dublin Marathon - 26.2 and highest week (Monday - Sunday) was during a mara training schedule at 64 miles, but that was only cos I had to do my Sunday long run on a Monday one week, meaning two long runs in the same week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trinity said:
On July 16th last year I did 52.4 miles, which was the 50 Challenge. That week's mileage was 63.
That is a BIG day!
I can't imagime ever going that far. Kudos to you!:d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Trinity said:
On July 16th last year I did 52.4 miles, which was the 50 Challenge. That week's mileage was 63.
I can't compete with mileage like that. I don't think I'll post mine!! :d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all relative mate.
I have one friend who ran 200+ in a week as a run along a long canal in the states!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
most in one day..... 26.2 FLM 1997, in my former life as a fit teenager! Rarely ran after that until 18 months ago.

Most in one week, last week 45 miles. 2 long runs in the same week were the cause though, Sunday 19th and Sat 25th. This week will be substantially less as I didn't do a long run on Sunday, and won't this Saturday as I'm doing a 20 miler on Sunday!!

I do need to start getting to 40-odd miles plus regularly though on normal weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Biggest ever week for me is... this week with 44 miles. Just typing it hurts... Some way to go before I can hit some of the figures posted above though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
I'm still in a quandry about losing the London to Brighton race off the race calendar...considering the possibilty of running a 20 the day before an Autumn marathon as a substitute to the training that L2B would have given me for my Comrades prep.

I know the distance would be short in comparison but it's probably the best I can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
About 26.3 miles. i don't think i've ever warmed up for more than a couple of hundred yards and i've never been in any state to run after any of my marathons.

in a week about 75 but i was young(ish) and foolish then. i couldn't get past 50 without doing damage to my knee, calf, achilles, hip etc etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
chrisity said:
i couldn't get past 50 without doing damage to my knee, calf, achilles, hip etc etc.

Do you have regular good quality sports massage? I find I can do much more mileage without any niggles when I have regular treatment...or should I say torture :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
no, but i do have a very abused body. i have had a series of massage and although it helps to some extent it can't overcome the general wear and tear of the years. like most people i don't stretch enough when i'm fit, and this doesn't help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
chrisity said:
no, but i do have a very abused body. i have had a series of massage and although it helps to some extent it can't overcome the general wear and tear of the years. like most people i don't stretch enough when i'm fit, and this doesn't help.

Well, you said it!
If you want to be able to put bigger mileage in you have to do all the other boring stuff too I'm afraid ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
122 miles in a week.
37 miles in a single day, carrying a rucksack and a bumbag. This was a failed attempt to run from Lancashire to Newcastle. It was in the middle of July and I got badly sunburned down the backs of my legs and arms. Oh yeah, the combination of sweat and friction from the rucksack took most of the skin off my back as well. I looked like I'd been flogged! :eek: I got on a train at Harrogate!

Less than a week later I ran a PB for 3000m on the track in bare feet. 8-37.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,223 Posts
I would say the 3 marathons (actually only tow of them because in my first I walked for 2 miles).
If warm up counts then it will have been around 28 miles.

In a week it was 131km (about 81.4 miles) when preparing for the last marathon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,223 Posts
pedestrian said:
122 miles in a week.
37 miles in a single day, carrying a rucksack and a bumbag. This was a failed attempt to run from Lancashire to Newcastle. It was in the middle of July and I got badly sunburned down the backs of my legs and arms. Oh yeah, the combination of sweat and friction from the rucksack took most of the skin off my back as well. I looked like I'd been flogged! :eek: I got on a train at Harrogate!

Less than a week later I ran a PB for 3000m on the track in bare feet. 8-37.
pedestrian... You are mad :d
But you are "my type" of mad; "good mad".

And great to know that someone else has raced barefoot!
My second best time (PB then) in the steeplechase was run barefoot :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,223 Posts
Actually before trying it I trained quite often with no shoes and studied the Kenyan runners. I noticed that most of them when running barefoot on the track actually had some protection, some sort of tape around some of the toes.
After some tests I came to the best solution which was to protect the 3 middle toes with tape because the outer ones didn't seem to suffer.
It worked well except for one that came out and the toe was a mess... But, probably because of the adrenaline (it was a final), I only felt the pain about half an hour later :p

In the Highland Games I sometimes run the longer races (mile/two miles) in bare feet. I love the feeling of the grass underneath and when doing a few events in the same day it's good to feel lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
Fulmar said:
... studied the Kenyan runners. I noticed that most of them when running barefoot on the track actually had some protection, some sort of tape around some of the toes.
In the Highland Games I sometimes run the longer races (mile/two miles) in bare feet. I love the feeling of the grass underneath and when doing a few events in the same day it's good to feel lighter.
My "ouch" was a reference to the potential pain involved in colliding with a barrier! :eek:
I used to tape up my first two toes (big toe and its neighbour), and this seemed to work fine. But then again, I wasn't visiting the water jump seven times when I was racing.;)

I was once fortunate to come across a section of a grassed sports field that was so pristine, that I just had to go back and run on it in bare feet. Surely one of the best running sensations I've ever experienced. :d

APOLOGIES FOR HIJACKING THE THREAD AND VEERING AWAY FROM ITS INTENDED COURSE. :embarrassed:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top