Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem, following my long run a couple of weeks ago I pulled my achillies, but after a couple of days rest it seemed to be OK and I managed a 4 miler on it without any undue pain (it was a bit sore but nothing overly great).

I then went out for another long run last Sunday and it seems to have aggrivated my achillies again, to the extent that I really couldn't walk on it on Monday, however by this morning it seems to be settling down well and there is now only a very slight ache when I walk.

I am scheduled to run (plod) 13.1 merry miles around Birmingham in a week and a half and my question is now two fold :

Firstly, should I even be contemplating about still running a week on Sunday, my sensible brain side says 'Nope, give it up now, full rest and recovery for a coupl eof weeks or it'll only end in tears' whereas the inner runner in me is saying 'Rest till Tues\Weds then try a medium-longish gentle run and if you can still walk after that then go for it!'.

Now then, the second part of my question is, if I should listen to the runner within and still aim for Birmingham what is the best way of maintaining my meagre fitness levels without potentially aggravating my ankle again and giving it every chance of recovery (yeah I know in ONE week :(( ), also this is bearing in mind that I really, really don't do gyms.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Crikey SR.

Sorry to hear, I can't give any advice I am afraid, not familiar with this injury, but I really do hope that it sorts itself and sooooooooon.

:(

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
thats a pain :( i think only you can decide if your fit to do it as you know how your body to feels...

as far as fitness goes there are things like crosstraining, cycling, swiming but im not sure what would pull... swimming might be ok...
you could try a visit to a physio/ sports massage type person would would at least help free it up a bit

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You're not really going to affect your fitness between now and Birmingham, so I'd say yes, run it, but cut back to very little mileage.

Have to confess I've been in a similar situation in the buildup to my half marathon this sunday with foot pains... nothing too serious but had I trained as planned it'd have crippled me. Not running the half is out of the question though - so I just altered my training schedule to give me the best chance of lining up fit and ready as possible. Last weeks 38mile week over 5 runs became 20miles over 3 runs, and this weeks 4runs before race day became 2 runs...

I think there's a risk of going out on Tues/Weds and doing a med/long run and undoing all the good that the rest has done you... I'd agree with going out tues/weds, but maybe make it a max of 4miles? Or alternatively just rest until race day? I don't think you want to be 'testing the limits' of your recovery so close to the race - that would be my only concern.

Best of luck though - I have every faith you'll be stood at the Start line on the 26th :)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
and dont forget to look out for me and swetty... we'll be in our club tops that look something like

p.s. check out those nice yellow shoes :d

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Best of luck though - I have every faith you'll be stood at the Start line on the 26th :)
It's just my final mode of transport over the finish line that concerns me :':)d:d

p.s. check out those nice yellow shoes :d
Cool, do they light your way on dark nghts too ? :d

Thanks for your comments guys, and I sort of knew that it would be a listen to the runner within scenario, but I'll definately ease back on the 'tester' run as that does make sense, and after all it would be much better to 'go out' in style infront of 9,000 other runners than alone on the side of a Welsh mountain in the dark.

I'll give the swimming a go over the weekend and see if I can get a physio session booked for early next week, and hopefully if all goes well I'll be following the neon yellow photon trail around Brum.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that settles it, came through the door from work to find my race number and chip had landed softly on the mat whilst I was in work worrying whether I could run or not .... it must be fate :d:d

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ooh, I'm not sure about the stripe, I thought the whole race number colour was the starting point colour code and therefore I was white (hmmm ... not really sure I should have admitted to that particular little premature senior moment on a public forum!! :(( :lol: )

I did put down an estimated time of 1:45 - 2:00 (that was pre-achilles though) so I should be in that sort of area.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
yeah.. on the number there is a colour stripe that relates to ur target time/ where u start

i entered ages ago so put 2:15 - 2:30 as my target time.. so i might be in with the people dressed as humpty dumpty :(

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll tell you what, I'll meet you in the 2:00 - 2:15 group :d:d:lol:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bust !!!

Well, it looks like its going to be 'bust' rather than 'Brum' now :(:)(:)((

Visit to the physio on Tuesday and diagnosed with Achilles Tendonitis, (which I had kind of guessed from the symptoms) although had had no pain for a few days and after talking it through with the physio went for a run last night.

5 miles later (at a steady easy pace) and its back :'(, really difficult walking this morning and any over movement of the achilles is rather debilitating.

So it looks like its no running for Bruce for the next 2 weeks at least and then a gentle re-hab programme to start building back up (next scheduled half is not till mid Jan) ... ah well at least it means I get to enjoy the extra hour in bed on Sunday now.

Has anyone on here suffered fromAchilles Tendonitis if so any suggestions for recovery , keeping fitness up etc, really would be greatly apprecited (and by Mrs SR too cos I get a feeling im gonna be kinda grumpy till I can run again :p)

Best of luck Beasty / Sweaty and anyone else running on Sunday in Brum, do a coupleof miles for me :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
SR not the news you were hoping for, but better to rest then make it worse. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts