Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear - where to start? I took a full time job at the end of last year - not that I wanted full time but it's a temp contract for 10 months and I figured the money would be useful. Now I've had to admit that it's just too much for me - even the 'normal' days are long but the late shifts on Mondays (finish at 8pm) and some Friday's has got me beaten. There isn't the opportunity to switch to part-time so I've decided to resign/retire at the end of the month.

But that means accepting that I'm ageing and I'm finding it a bit difficult. Right now I've lost the running bug and whilst I'm hoping that's temporary because I'm tired from work - I'm also worried it is also because I'm feeling old. I know there are folk on here older than I am but I don't know how to accept that I can't do what I used to do. I'm not talking about running especially - as I've only been running two and half years I don't think that's actually going to change much once I find the missing mo-jo - it's just life in general.

Do you think it will all come right once the job's finished and I get my own life back? Any suggestions? I've thought about looking for some voluntary work but I don't want to rush into something and regret it later. One really exciting thing is that my daughter and grandchildren are coming to visit (from the US) just as I finish work. I've been to visit them before but this will be the first time I've had the grandchildren in my home!

Sorry guys to a bit of a negative post but I know some of you will know the right things to say to help me.

Thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
In this day and age 62 isn't old. So whatever you're feeling right now it's in your head. Fix your thinking and everything will be fine.

Don't think of it as retiring. Think of it as improving your lifestyle. There are few people in their 20's, 30's and 40's that wouldn't love to be able to spend their days doing the things that they enjoy instead of getting stressed out by the rat race.

When I get into one of these little ruts (and I'm sure you can look back and identify plenty of times in the past where it's happened), then the best way out is to set a health and fitness related target. So getting your mind and body in great shape. This can really take years off you and there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't feel as good as you did in your 30's.

You've got your running ticking over nicely. Is there a class that you might enjoy? Circuit or strength training would be very good for you (to make you younger) if you enjoy that kind of thing. Maybe a spin class? That kind of thing releases all sorts of hormones that really do turn back the clock and get you feeling great. Go for something fairly high intensity as that really will make you feel good.

Once you get a bit of momentum going you'll discover all sorts of new interests and will live life to the full.

It probably won't work for everyone, but some of these self-hypnosis CD's are great for getting yourself thinking positively. At just a few pounds it's got to be worth a try.

You're just down in the dumps. What you're feeling isn't real but you do need to put effort into changing how you're thinking.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Maybe you need a tomboy ;)

Sorry, but be real. If you can manage without the money then retire, find your mojo and enjoy the rest of your life. I would retire tomorrow if I could :)

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Oh Pam, of course you're going to feel down, it sounds like you're knackered! Going into full-time work and long hours is hard work at any age so don't you dare think it's because you're getting past it.

Get through the next few weeks and take time to really relax with your daughter and grandson. Something will come along after that, you're one of the most optimistic and smiley people I know! :D

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It not the hours you work but the fulfilment you get when you are working... Find something rewarding and there are not enough hours in a day...
I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that - I'm in a call centre for goodness sake!! How these people continue to work there year after year I have no idea.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In this day and age 62 isn't old. So whatever you're feeling right now it's in your head. Fix your thinking and everything will be fine.

Don't think of it as retiring. Think of it as improving your lifestyle. There are few people in their 20's, 30's and 40's that wouldn't love to be able to spend their days doing the things that they enjoy instead of getting stressed out by the rat race.

When I get into one of these little ruts (and I'm sure you can look back and identify plenty of times in the past where it's happened), then the best way out is to set a health and fitness related target. So getting your mind and body in great shape. This can really take years off you and there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't feel as good as you did in your 30's.

You've got your running ticking over nicely. Is there a class that you might enjoy? Circuit or strength training would be very good for you (to make you younger) if you enjoy that kind of thing. Maybe a spin class? That kind of thing releases all sorts of hormones that really do turn back the clock and get you feeling great. Go for something fairly high intensity as that really will make you feel good.

Once you get a bit of momentum going you'll discover all sorts of new interests and will live life to the full.

It probably won't work for everyone, but some of these self-hypnosis CD's are great for getting yourself thinking positively. At just a few pounds it's got to be worth a try.

You're just down in the dumps. What you're feeling isn't real but you do need to put effort into changing how you're thinking.
I'm guessing that you may not be into your 60s yet? What I'm feeling now IS real but hopefully it's temporary. I'm a positive person and normally my middle name is Optimistic - but now and again, even Mrs PMA loses it, which I have done right now. Of course there are reasons why I can't feel as I did in my 30s - I'm not in my 30s anymore and I think one must be realistic. That's not to say that I'm defeatist either. It's all very well to talk in an idealistic way about health and fitness targets - I'm not a fitness freak, I don't like exercise, but I have taken to running - although for the time being I've lost my way a bit. I prefer wine, good food, interesting company to serious exercise.

What I need right now is what some of the folk on here, who know me a bit, are giving me. A bit of gentle encouragement. I'm sure you mean well Susan - and thank you for your response.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh Pam, of course you're going to feel down, it sounds like you're knackered! Going into full-time work and long hours is hard work at any age so don't you dare think it's because you're getting past it.

Get through the next few weeks and take time to really relax with your daughter and grandson. Something will come along after that, you're one of the most optimistic and smiley people I know! :D
Thanks Pip - I'd never thought that retiring would be so, well, I don't really know what, maybe traumatic? I think you're right that I'm knackered - and I don't like it much. On that note, I'll go back to my glass of wine and the tv and prepare myself for a Saturday shift, which thankfully finishes as 4 pm. Actually, there is a positive side here - when I work on Saturday I get Friday off - so on Thursday evening, it's the weekend, then it's the weekend again on Saturday when I finish - so I get 2 weekends for the price of one!! I can feel myself coming back to positive here - thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well yes - not liking exercise is a bit of a show stopper when it comes to using exercise to lift your mood and feel younger :d

I hope you're feeling better soon whatever you decide to do. I'm sure you've got loads of fabulous things ahead of you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So your not quite a spring chicken anymore-so what? Retirement isnt admiting defeat,on the contary its thumbing your nose at the ratrace and saying im done with you work,im going to do what i want to do.You have a great rep here and it sounds like your family,while not close geographically(sp) are a source of strenth and comfort.Enjoy your age and have a glass of wine for me(red if you got it) put your feet up,wriggle your toes and plan your next run in that rosy glow that comes after 2/3/4 glasses:)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
my neighbour is 60.. I swear she thinks she is 90.. Meanwhile.. My mother is 72 and has a busier on average day than me.. age is Just a number.. Do what will make *you* happy!! as you deserve it..

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So your not quite a spring chicken anymore-so what? Retirement isnt admiting defeat,on the contary its thumbing your nose at the ratrace and saying im done with you work,im going to do what i want to do.You have a great rep here and it sounds like your family,while not close geographically(sp) are a source of strenth and comfort.Enjoy your age and have a glass of wine for me(red if you got it) put your feet up,wriggle your toes and plan your next run in that rosy glow that comes after 2/3/4 glasses:)
Thanks Moobs - I've been trying to figure out why I feel like I do and I wonder if it's a sort of guilt feeling that I won't be working for a living any more. You're right - I should just say, enough of timetables, enough of worrying if it'll be a bad winter and will I be able to get to work if it snows, time now for me - I've now got the rosy glow after the 2/3/4 glasses and feel much happier now!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think its natural to feel anxious about any type of life changing event, giving up your own little pot of financial security and journeying into the unknown, Im sure once you have finished you will feel relieved and like a weight has been lifted and can enjoy your daughters visit knowing you won't have to leave them all day to go and do a mind numbing job that you didn't enjoy anyway, you will be able to wake up in the morning , look out the window and be able to breakfast in the garden at leisure if the sun is shining, go for a walk, explore new places, potter around the shops, or go for a gentle run, whatever you feel like doing that day, with no limitations or plans to stop you.

hope you feel better about things soon xx

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree age is a number. My day is 72 and still trains at the gym 3 times a week. He still has his own business with which he is out on jobs through the week, he doesn't not look or act his age. Just to add he had a tooth absess this week from a piece of popcorn which lodged in his gum........ The last time the dr seen hom was 21 years ago!!
If you are not happy in your job I would say its that which makes you feel down/tired and when you finish hopefully you will feel a million dollars again :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Moobs - I've been trying to figure out why I feel like I do and I wonder if it's a sort of guilt feeling that I won't be working for a living any more. You're right - I should just say, enough of timetables, enough of worrying if it'll be a bad winter and will I be able to get to work if it snows, time now for me - I've now got the rosy glow after the 2/3/4 glasses and feel much happier now!
My mum felt a bit lost when she retired - well, she loved it at first, but after a year or so she missed having a purpose like a job. She fixed that by volunteering in a charity shop, which she loves. They think she's wonderful in there, she's always been brilliant with people and hardworking, but now it's on her terms. I'm not suggesting that you feel that way or would necessarily would want that, but if after putting your feet up for a while you wanted to do something, there is so much out there for people with life skills.

I am 38 and I don't work full time. I have no reason not to, no kids or commitments, but we can afford it. It improved my quality of life massively. I've rarely been in jobs that i've hated, but I've never had a job that i loved - I work to live not live to work. So full time just feels like a treadmill, where I spend everyday wishing for the weekend. The extra day off a week - for me - makes all the difference. Occasionally, I feel guilty that my husband works such long hours, but there is no option in his job to work part time and he says he enjoys his job. It certainly seems to absorb him in a way mine doesn't.

Something else that I've noticed is that whenever I'm in a new job, I get very tired. A new environment, perhaps learning a lot of new stuff and being on the top of your game is hard work. It usually settles down after a few months when I acclimatise, but the first few months I usually am knackered in the evenings.

I don't know if any of that is useful, it was mainly just rambling! But 62 is not old as long as you are in good health, and I'm sure that when you've rested up your running mojo will come back.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
i'm sure you'll get your running mojo back hun - once you jack the full time job in . my nephew works where you work and he is a young 20 year old - no kidding he is absolutely shattered from the shift work and being on his feet all day

he is 20 years old and shattered!

i think as human beings we tend to sometimes go down the path of worry and when something is wearing us out it can make us worry about the rest of our lives too - hence you worrying about not being able to run etc.

i'm not suprised your feeling too tired to run .....said before my nephew is wrecked.

i think it will all come back mate - once your jack the job in - you see :d

i think its a shame they wont let you go part time though -if thats what you want - i expected better than that from the company and am suprised

anyway hun - dont worry - you'll soon be skipping along those streets again - promise - double promise :) x

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Maybe you need a tomboy ;)

Sorry, but be real. If you can manage without the money then retire, find your mojo and enjoy the rest of your life. I would retire tomorrow if I could :)
:lol: is it a tomboy ....or a toyboy :d

if its a toyboy grab our fulmar ;) x

if its a tomboy - that'll be me :d

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
sorry pam - i just re read your later post - ahh your in a call centre- for some reason i thought you were at m&s

ahh - that explains even more why your shattered then ! :wacko:

it will all come good hun - just you see :) x

is it quite a depressing environment to work in - are the people nice there?

maybe its a case of just finding where we are called/ meant to be ......

i worked in an office doing accounts - i was as depressed as hell- could hardly drag myself there each day ....... then i worked with kids with autism and i came to life .....

its not that were getting older - its that we're not doing a job we are passionate about ..... i think we have to find our passion and calling dont we.

i know you already know this hun- i'm just thinking out loud for myself too .:)

it will come good - i so promise - enjoy your time with your family when they come and take it from there ......its exciting ......:d

1 - 20 of 29 Posts