Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I found I was suffering an injury to my right quad.

I couldn't work out what had caused it, and although it could be quite painful it seemed to come and go of its own accord. At its worst it was a very strong pain deep in my thigh that actually made me feel sick, and walking was a problem. However at other times it was as if there was nothing wrong.

At a loss as to what was causing this I took a couple of days off running :)( ) and this didn't seem to make any difference.

Completely at a loss I took to the laptop and the interweb to try and diagnose the problem. Following various scares of stress fractures, ruptured quads and varying other more sinister problems (the interweb can be a scarey place if you let it!), I suddenly had a eureka moment on what was causing my injury.

It was actually my laptop!!! I noticed that the pain was in the exact place that the laptop battery rested on my leg when using it. After a quick chat with my physio, she confirmed that this could well be the case, that if I had a mall tear in my quad then the heat from the laptop battery could indeed accentuate the localised blood flow and swelling and therefore compound the injury.

So it would appear that it wasn't actually my running that was causing the problem, but rather my post run Garmin related geekery. (you see Steepler was right, Garmin's can be dangerous!).

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well that is great news you have resolved the problem, how long will it be now before you can get running again?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TT, but the good thing was that after a tester of a run (4m) not making the injury any worse (naughty way of checking I know :embarrassed:) I didn't need to stop running. In fact if anything my running has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of weeks (two 10k pb's in 4 days either side of my b/day - nice pressie to self :d, and a couple of gorgeous long runs too ), although that may be down to my new found regime of post run warm down\self torture that seems to be paying dividends on my legs.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Tremendous news and in the words of nessa (Gavin and Stacy) "Tidy" :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Awesome stuff SR!!! (PB's that is...) also glad to hear you've sorted your injury woes...I take it you've managed to find a desk/table for your laptop now eh? ;)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I wonder sometimes about all the wireless stuff bouncing around me. Makes sense in a strange way.

Better not stop running. Then you won't have time to injure yourself on the laptop :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts