Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reguarly run the bleep test
and last week in 3 days my scores went
12 - 12.4 - 13.1
after 4 days off ive come back and suddenly I can't get past 10
last 2 days 9.6 - 9.9
this happens reguarly, i slowly work my score up, take say, only 2 days off from running it and it drops back down dramatically. I cannot run it everyday since it puts a lot of strain on my ankles (all the turning)
Im a 17 year old male, and do lots of other physical activity as well as school, I don't see how it's overtraining since my level goes down when I have had a rest!
i lift 5 times a week and do boxing 4 times a week, I do Pe 4 days a week at school, but its mostly theory; as well as football, the beep test, (2 mile walk to and from school each day) tennis at weekends, and resistance band stuff and grip training to help with my deadlifts (powerball and gripmaster mostly e.t.c.) + 100 pushups a day (consecutive) + sport at school on wednesday afternoons, and cricket nets on wednesday nights.

im 5ft 9 191lbs and about 11-12% bodyfat

it's really frustraring, since i "lose it" much faster than I am able to work it back up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The bleep test is meant to be a maximal test, as in you run until you physically cannot keep up any more. It isn't the sort of thing you should be doing more than once every couple of weeks as it is mean to be an indicator of fitness, not a training session.
By the looks of all the other sport/exercise you are doing, you are not giving your body a chance to recover and adapt from all the training that you are doing. I think it's brilliant that you are doing so much (and so varied), I was exactly the same, but your body can't cope with it long term.
There will always be an initial increase in performance when you attempt a new activity, but then there is the plateau that follows, where it is that much harder to improve.
I would suggest doing the test every three weeks to a month at the very most, but continue with the rest of your programme as much as you can fit it in???

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I agree with sensible...the bleep test is something to do every now and then not regularly.
Doing it 3 times a week is like getting on the scales every day!
I'd do it once every 2 months at the most and maintain fitness with everything else you do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The bleep test is not accurate and provides very little information you can use in actual training!

Far better to use the 15 minute Balke test as recommended by Frank Horwill!

coachsherwood

1 - 4 of 4 Posts