Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am suffering with blister(s) in just one place that just won't go away. Not that it'll make much difference, but it's the inside edge of my right foot, just below the ball.

Now, I have 'proper' running shoes - New balance ones, in fact. I had them professionally fitted at a running shop where they put me on a treadmill. I do over-pronate quite a lot and these are the shoes with the highest support possible.

For the first...10 months or so of my running, they were 100% fine. Then...I started to run for longer than 30 minutes (and longer than 3 miles..I'm not very fast :) ). The very first time I did this the blister appeared. And now every time I run (and I generally now run around 5 miles) it comes back. In fact, as I run most days, it is MOST unpleasant to behold (and yes it does hurt too).

I tried new shoes as the running shop suggested that my old ones may have degraded. No Change. I tried stopping for 10 days so it had completely healed. No Change. I tried double skin socks. No Change.

I am thinking a podiatrist may be the next logical step? I think that my feet pronate even more as I run over 30 minutes, and start to roll in more. I don't think the trainers can handle it.

Sorry for talking so much - and on my first post too :worried: I hope some people made it to the end!

Thanks...Tiff.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hi there and welcome to RF.

I made it to the end!

Not sure I can help but have you tried compeed on your blisters or just normal plasters over the site of the blisters as extra protection.
Otherwise a chiropodrist may be best bet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve - well done :)

Yes I have a compeed plaster on it right now, and I also tried normal plasters. The only benefit being that I now cannot see how bad it looks (although the plaster is translucent so I can see enough to know it looks bad!)

Tiff.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
There is something you can put on your skin to harden it.............

...usefully I can't recall what it is though!!

Have a look on previous blister threads...the answer you seek may be there...you never know!!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Soak your feet in salt water, or is it vinegar water.....this should harden the souls of your feet up a bit. Don't try it if the blisters are open though!! STING!!!!

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Surgical spirit should help harden the skin ;)

P.S. Welcome to the forum, and well done for getting stuck in with your first post - I made it to the end too! (Do I get a Medal? :d)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Surgical spirit should help harden the skin ;)

P.S. Welcome to the forum, and well done for getting stuck in with your first post - I made it to the end too! (Do I get a Medal? :d)
That's the stuff!!

Only a bronze though RS :lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have you tried double layer socks? Hilly Twin Skin from Ron Hill are v good, but don't try 1000 mile trainer socks - I wore them tonight and got a blister within 1 mile!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Marathon fool,

I see you didn't make it right through my post :) Perfectly understandable!

Yes I've tried the double layer socks with no change. Shame about the 1000 mile socks - having looked up old posts as per instructions, I thought I might give them a try...! Oh well - they say they'll give you your money back if you get a blister so maybe still worth a go.

Tiff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry Tiffany, I know I am guilty of skim reading! :worried:

I am going to send my 1000 mile socks back. But good news is I also bought some Hilly Twin Skin and they are brilliant!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I actually get blisters with my 1000 mile socks as well, more than with normal socks, although this could just be because they're fairly old

Tiffany, if nothing else works, your feet will likely harden after a few weeks anyway :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
there are three things required for a blister to form, heat, moisture and friction, you cannot control the amount of heat that your body produces, but you can control the amount of friction and the amount of moisture on the skin

for the majority of people cotton is the worst fiber you can wear as it holds moisture next to the skin, next to that is the man made fiber as used in the majority of running socks [inc the good ones] the problem is that for a synthetic fiber to wick moisture away from your foot it needs to be moving moisture from a hot area [the foot] to a cooler area [the air surrounding you] if you are stood on top of a snowy mountain having run to the top you will have hot feet and the external temperature is very low.... the vapour transfer rate is high and the moisture is moved quickly form the foot through the sock to the outside air..... now if you are runnig round the streets on a sweaty sunday afternoon the air temperature will be much closer to your body temperture... the vapour transfer rate is much slower and you may not be moving the moisture quickly enough to stop it from allowing the skin to blister.

as the foot pronates you will increase friction between the foot and the shoe, the solution here is to either reduce friction by reducing pronation with a supportive orthotic insert or to appy a friction reducing medium [vaseline or similar] to the area......

so back to the sock, try a wool based [merino wool is not ichy and can be washed in the machine]sock and see if this works..... look for brands Teko and Smartwool as the two best on the market, wool can absorb moisture and hold over 1/3 of its weight in moisture vapour before it feels wet, it is very good at regulating body temperature keeping you cool in summer and warm in winter, the moisture is held in the wool fibers a bit like a reservoir and is then released slowly into the air in a vapour form rather than the liquid form which "plastic" socks have to do wool socks are also great for people with cold clamy feet as the moisture is sucked away by the wool rather than needing heat to push the moisture through the material

here endeth the lecture about sock construction:d
[no seriously i used to have to give a 2 hour lecture on this subject:asleep::asleep:]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow - and I thought my first post was long :)

But seriously - thanks for the advice. I tried and failed to find any vaseline this morning, and still got a blister and I only ran 3 miles :-(

I've got some new socks on order so I'll see how they work. I am already overflowing with sports socks though!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
tiffany

i have just gone back to your original post to see if i had missed anything, if it is a pronation issue then support the foot, you could do a lot worse than trying something as simple as an off the peg superfeet insole, cost you around £35.00 but they have a 60day money back guarantee so if it does't solve the problem you do not lose

you cna get them from most good outdoor or ski shops and the odd running store, in conjunction with your shoes they will reduce the pronation a little bit more, make sure they are cut properly for the soes and the edges are tapered so there are no hard edges, then build up distance really slowly

exactly where is this blister, is it behind te ball of the foot [front of the arch] or in front of the ball of the foot [side /base of toe] just trying to think of other solutions for you

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi footman,

The blister is behind the ball of the foot, yes, on the front of the arch. It doesn't touch the ground when I walk and I'm not bothered at all by it when not running.

I just tried my 1000 mile socks which arrived yesterday...and I ALMOST didn't get a blister for my 4 mile run this morning. It IS there, but quite a small one. I think I'll give the socks the benefit of the doubt as of course my skin is sensitive due to all the other times I get a blister in the same place!!

Tiffany.

·
Registered
119 Posts
take a look at the insole of your shoes, it may be that you are just catching the edge of it, if there is an "edge" which is where the blister is you could try a little adjustment to it,the insoles tend to have a square edge to them you could try filing this away with a bit of sandpaper or a nail file ...on the underside, this should soften the edge and take the pressure point away

1 - 18 of 18 Posts