Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I'm new to this site!
I have been suffering from weeping, open blisters in the instep of both feet (quite near the ball of the big toe). I am a fairly regular runner (about 3 times a week) and this has only become a problem since I moved. I used to do road running and now I am doing off-road with many hills and uneven ground. Could it be that my regular running shoes are causing the problem? I know I should invest in off-raod shoes to protect my ankles, more than anything and get some grip, but would this solve my blister problem?
Thankyou!
:d

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi danddgraham!

I get blisters there sometimes (got one last night!) I think its one of my feet slightly over-pronates on that side - and although I wear Asics - I occassionally get the blister there. It sometimes depends on the socks I am wearing, and also how tightly I do my trainers up - as there is a bit of movement within them. I have been told an extra pair of socks might help keep my feet in place.. but I dont get the problem all the time, so I just buy the 'Party Feel Blister plasters' the gel ones - when I do get one. Annoyingly these dont last long as they get soggy and inflate in the shower... but they solve the problem whilst the blister heals. Double layer socks are better! I think actually the reason I keep getting one in the same place is because it never properly healed... so its actually the same one just getting aggrevated. Not very helpful - but if in doubt it might be worth seeing a podiatrist - they have them at some shoe shops I believe.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Sorry - forgot to say, I probably would invest in off-road shoes though... it might be with your foot sliding around inside the shoe a lot more inside as you are not stiking the ground evenly.... I think though if you are prone to getting them there you need to get trail shoes that are for stabilising.... worth getting yourself analysed!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome.

As sweaty says, sounds like your shoes are not suitable for the running surface. I do envy you freeing yourself from the Tarmac. Sounds like a wonderful way to run!

·
Registered
119 Posts
movement, heat and friction...control these and you will be blister free.

sounds like motion inside the shoe as others have said,

you say the instep of each foot near the ball of the big toe...do you mean instep as in top of the foot or arch as in bottom/side of the foot?

the solution will vary to an extent depending on the location of the blister

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your advice everyone!
I think the double pair of socks is a good idea and while it's healing I'll get a good dressing like compeed etc. The trainers are Asics and I have to say that I got a blister there in June after a hill race so it could be the sliding around. It is on the underside of my foot by the way - sorry I wasn't clear.
I am not a fantastic runner (it sounds like I'm great with all these hills!!) I just love running and now we have moved it's all hills around us so it's a real challenge and I find myself stopping on steep hills when I never stopped on tarmac so it's frustrating.
But I'm sure it will pay off in the end and the dog loves it!
I will also get some off-road shoes as I am terrified of twisting ankles and not making it home to pick the kids up from school!
Good response to my first ever query!
Dee :d

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Perhaps it's not so much running up and down hills that causes the problem, but contouring round them when your foot tends to slide to the side of your shoe. For mountainous terrain like yours I'd suggest a more specialized Trail shoe that fits a bit more 'snug' and has plenty of grip - something like the Inov-8 Mudclaw 270 which many fell runners swear by. Be sure to try them on before you buy (not on the internet), preferably with the type of socks you'll be regularly wearing with them. Personally I use '1000 mile' all terrain socks for hill work, both in my walking boots and in my running shoes.
Cheers!

PS. You live in a wonderful part of the country. Wish I was up there running with you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This weekend I tried the Innov-Rocklite as they were (i was told by the assistant) the only women-specific shoes made by Innov. I have a very narrow foot so no use with the blokes ones. The female Rocklite was also too wide across the foot and I semed to be in between sizes. So I have risked it and gone for a very comfortable, narrow fitting Merrell Continuum Siren Sport which is low profile, with a Vibran sole and air-cushioning sole. It came from Tiso's and not a running shop so I am hoping it's ok!!
Have any of you heard of it and any opinions (although it's too late for me cos they have been used now but only for a wee run!). I would say they are a trail shoe - I have no intentions of going off a path unless I get lost!! But the paths vary from forest track to sheep track...
Honest opinions please ..... (they look nice too so that's a bonus!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts