Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so these are prety much my nemesis, my feet are susceptible to getting bad blisters!
I have improved their tolerence alot with better trainers and proper running socks but after 10k or a fast 5k i still get blisters -does anyone have any tips to avoid them?

I think i was told to put surgical spirit on them or something a while ago but i might be mixed up -is there a way to toughen up the skin? Any tips most appreciated!

Cheers

Canwood :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy Canwood...

Blisters seems to be a pretty common thing lately, certainly something that can really ruin a run.

I don't want you to think I'm trying to fob you off in any way, but I think the best thing I can do is to point you in the direction of a few previous threads which have discussed the matter... Check out the links below,

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/injury/2419-blisters-ouch-p.html
http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/training/1973-blisters.html
http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/injury/1067-what-do-you-do-your-blisters.html

'Compeed' is a name you may hear mentioned a lot ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
He does say they've improved with proper running socks, so I assume he has some. Though it wouldn;t harm to try a few different types, like the 'twin-ply' socks which is similar to wearing two pairs of socks, the theory being that the friction happens between the two layers of the sock rather than between your sock and your skin.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Oh ok, missed that one... how about gaffer tape? As a girl who usually wearing stupidly inpractical shoes, that generally does the trick... or micropore tape and savlon.

Or compeed if you're not being tight.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Suggest some 1000 mile All Terrain socks costing just under twenty quid for three pairs. Their guarantee is money back or replacement if, from one year of date of purchase, you experience blisters or the socks wear out within 1000 miles.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I feel a little guilty, because I have never had a blister from running, and I tend to just wear any old socks I have lying around. Am I a freak?

·
Registered
348 Posts
My personal experience is never buy the ones with towelling on the inside on the sole, they generally rub sooner or later. I do have very sweaty plates of meat though....

·
Registered
707 Posts
JBBury said:
I feel a little guilty, because I have never had a blister from running, and I tend to just wear any old socks I have lying around. Am I a freak?

No because I'd not had any problems with blisters until one time I went out with socks... and when i'm running in hot weather I wear tescoes value trainer socks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys thanks for the replies i got some good socks -twin ply type like was mentioned and they have helped 90% -its just now and then i'll get a bad blister on a run and i dont want it to happen in a race so was wondering if there was any other tricks of the trade?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Canwood58 said:
I think i was told to put surgical spirit on them or something a while ago but i might be mixed up -is there a way to toughen up the skin? Any tips most appreciated!

Cheers

Canwood :d
Surgical spirit can be used for hardening the skin. Not sure if it would work well enough to solve your probs, though.:(

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
That sounds like it may either be due to wrong-sized shoes, or that your toenails are too short. Or maybe a bit of both?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Runningfox said:
Suggest some 1000 mile All Terrain socks costing just under twenty quid for three pairs. Their guarantee is money back or replacement if, from one year of date of purchase, you experience blisters or the socks wear out within 1000 miles.
Cheers!
I suffer from blisters too and perchased some 1000 miles socks. Whilst these do help a great deal if you do alot of cross country running as i do i tend to find after going through some big puddles the two layers tend to stick together and the effectiveness are lost. I find double pair of socks have the same effect and a lot cheaper.

Follow the golden rules good shoe, good socks and don't over do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pedestrian said:
That sounds like it may either be due to wrong-sized shoes, or that your toenails are too short. Or maybe a bit of both?
Im pretty happy with my shoes they've done me well -think maybe i didnt do me shoelaces up properly the other day : ) only planned on doing a couple of k to warm up for weights but once on the treadmill thought i might as well do the 10 see what it felt like. I think ive just got rubbishly thin skin on my feet!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello

Only been running for 6 months but not had a problem with blisters or sore feet at all.

Purchased a few pairs of X-Socks before I started running so hoping they have helped. I don't run vast distances but after the 6 months the first pair are still holding out well.

Cheers

Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts