Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had some medical people here at my company doing free blood pressure tests and body mass index readings.

Now I'm really drepressed.

According to them, my blood pressure is 175/101 and my pulse is 82.

I've got a BMI of 23.

Really annoyed though. I exercise regularly, I dont smoke, I'm not overweight and my diet is getting better.

The thing is, I've had plenty of blood pressure tests in the past and have always been normal and there was no way my pulse was 82. When I go back to my desk, I read my pulse twice. I got readings of 64 and 65.

The tests were carried out very quickly, there was a big queue and everyone could listen to what the lady was saying and making fun etc etc so the environment wasn't ideal.

The lady told me that I should get checked out by my GP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was it free because it was run by a private health company/ health insurance provider? Your BMI is normal, maybe you should question the validity of their tests.

But it doesn't take much to take a quick trip to the doctor so you may aswell getg checked out.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
clinical tachycardia (fast pulse rate) is a pulse rate greater than 100 beats per minute... only athletes have a pulse of ~60bpm... so don't worry about that...

as for blood pressure... it is a high reading... you should see your GP and have it repeated in a more controlled environment...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was a private health care company. Lol, yea I guess they could be trying to scare people into joining their health care program.

Just did my pulse again after reasting for half hour and its 58 so I'm not too worried about that now.

Might just get one of those home blood-pressure kits. If its still high I'll get it checked out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Singularity said:
Yes it was a private health care company. Lol, yea I guess they could be trying to scare people into joining their health care program...........
That's the first thing I thought when I read your OP. They must be selling something. Take your pulse before you drop off to sleep tonight. That will give you a true resting heart rate. Can't help you with the BP but if you're fit & healthy and feeling fine, my guess is there is nothing to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts