Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

can anyone offer any advice on keeping energy levels up for about an hours running. I have low blood sugar problems, I am not diabetic, but do have low blood pressure as well.

Some days I am fine, plenty of energy, other days very 'flat'. I try to keep to a diet of unrefined carbs, plenty of wholegrains etc, slow release energy. But do stray sometimes on to sugary stuff. I would like to try energy drinks, but I worry that they will have the opposite effect, ie. sugar rush then a real 'low'.

If running first thing in the morning eating beforehand is not always easy.

Does anyone else feel like this, or better still anyone overcome this problem. I suppose I just have to try things out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Energy drinks or energy gels maybe a good idea, or at least worth trying. Some contain a mixture of monosaccharides (such as glucose and fructose) which are quickly released as well as more complex disaccharides and polysaccharides (your dextroses, maltoses, starch etc) which can mean that you can maintain a constant blood sugar level without relying on insulin to break down the glycogen in your liver. I'm not sure which products are the best, but the Lucozade Sports and Science Academy sell a wide variety of products for pre, during and post exercise at http://www.thelssa.co.uk/lssa/shop/default.asp. With these things, its always worth experimenting.

Starchy meals such as pasta are usually the best thing the night before running.

Bananas are a very cliché long-distance athlete fruit and they work as well. Lots of carbohydrates as well as electrolytes such as potassium to keep your ion gates working at an efficient level.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I try and keep in touch with the nutrition type things, but it seems such a minefield. I have found myself looking through someone's running magazine at work......never though that would happen a few months ago, but very interesting. I will have a look at the website you suggested and try out a few things.

Thanks again.

Lyn.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
How's this been going Bagpuss?

I tend to have all those things Nick mentioned and seem to do ok most of the time. Only thing I don't like are gels and sweets whilst runnning.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not bad at the moment, I try and keep a sensible diet 80% of the time, sticking to low GI stuff to avoid 'sugar rushes'. I struggled a bit on the 10k after 45mins, energy seemed to drain all at once, even my arms went all wobbly.
I have tried puting the gell in my water bottle, as it says take with water, and I don't like the fizzy stuff. I definately need some fuel after 40 mins or so, I just need to find the right one. Some days I'm fine, others not so good.

Any advice always welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts