Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Left home at 9.30 this morning and returned at 3pm a National Champion - which is rather remarkable because it's the first 5k race I've ever run in my 21 year running career. I'd no idea how to run it so just set off fast and hung on as best I could. Finished with a time of 22.24 to take the British MV75 title, the gold medal and a £25 voucher towards my next pair of shoes. I think it also takes me to the top of the MV75 UK Rankings this year.
Not a bad day's work!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your congrats - Dan, Stotty and Ozbozo. It's nice to win these championships but after that you're there to be shot at. There are some good Vets out there who'll be trying their hardest now to beat the time I've set - and when they do I'll have to start all over again. And I'm getting too old for that sort of thing ;)
Cheers!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
fantastic result foxy!!

Out of interest do you know how much you beat your predecessor by? :d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
twinkle toes said:
fantastic result foxy!! Out of interest do you know how much you beat your predecessor by? :d
He clocked 23.33 compared to my 22.24. I believe he holds the MV75 course record at 22.02 so I was a bit disappointed at not going sub 22. I've had a niggling calf muscle problem so only got out for a couple of short training runs in the two weeks prior to the race.
Cheers!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Runningfox said:
He clocked 23.33 compared to my 22.24. I believe he holds the MV75 course record at 22.02 so I was a bit disappointed at not going sub 22. I've had a niggling calf muscle problem so only got out for a couple of short training runs in the two weeks prior to the race.
Cheers!

That is some margin difference, nice one :d

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I've not been keeping up to date with forum postings Foxy. So a belated congratulations to a National Champion.... There's just no stopping you!!:d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flakey said:
Foxy We are not worthy. Flakey
Wha'd yer mean, we are not worthy? There's more to life than running, you know. I'm absolutely useless at most other things 'normal' people do, so I'm probably the one who's not worthy!
It just happens running is the only thing I'm reasonably good at, so I might as well milk it for as long as I can. Incidentally, the chap who finished just behind me in the 5K Championship, in 22.41, was over 80. His was probably a better performance than mine.
Anyhow thankyou, and to other forumites, for all your kind words.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
admin said:
Whats the next target then runningfox?
Probably the Yorkshire ten mile road championships (Incidentally, why haven't you put the Eccup 10 miler in the list of races?) and then, if I'm fit enough, the BIG one down in Birmingham - BMAF Track & Field championships where I'll be concentrating on the 800m.
Cheers Dan.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Runningfox said:
Probably the Yorkshire ten mile road championships (Incidentally, why haven't you put the Eccup 10 miler in the list of races?) and then, if I'm fit enough, the BIG one down in Birmingham - BMAF Track & Field championships where I'll be concentrating on the 800m.
Cheers Dan.
Eccup 10 should now be in the list of races. I'm going to change the race system so I don't have to approve them every time an addition is made. Should make things much easier.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Runningfox said:
Thanks Grant. Hoping for more championships before the year's out!
Cheers!
You will be close to a clean sweep by the end of the year Foxy...............:d

1 - 20 of 26 Posts