Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The upgrade went pretty smoothly. This thread is to tell you what's new and allow feedback.

What we've lost

The sidebar has gone. Almost all of the stuff on it is still available. The forum stats are at the bottom of the homepage. The training blog links and pace calculator are on the navbar under "Other" Training blog summary stats are gone but will make a return. The top posters has disappeared but is available here.

VB Spell has gone, but should be replaced within a couple of days.

GARS (Article and review system), which was present in the Training Plans and Shoe Reviews forums. To get an upgraded version will require paying for a new license, and it wasn't used enough to justify the cost. The stuff already written is still present, just in normal thread form.

What's new

There are many many changes. I won't list everything, just the most interesting stuff.

The biggest change is the user profiles which the vBulletin team have given a full makeover to, and tied in with a new Contacts & Friends system (which replaces the Buddy List system).
Basically there's more emphasis on social networking and the like. You can adjust your contacts and friends under your User CP: Networking. Note that if you put someone on your friends list they will have to confirm it first.

The user profiles have a new layout that's rather myspace-esque. It does take some getting used to, but it's not bad.
You can leave public messages aka visitor messages for each other. These are like private messages but public. You are able to manage (e.g. delete) the messages left for you and messages you leave to others. If you'd rather not receive public messages you can disable them via User CP -> Edit Options -> Messaging & Notification.

You can also have picture albums though remember that the public profiles are available to all, so don't e.g. upload anything that can identify you, unless you're okay with that. And obviously don't upload anything inappropriate :d

Multi-quote. This is where you can click the button to the right of the quote button (using the vBulletin default until we have one made) on multiple posts, then post a reply to have all of them quoted at once. This makes it much easier to reply to multiple posts.

Thread Tags are tags to identify the content of a thread. They work like flickr. You don't have to use them, they're just handy for searching later.

PM Preview. If you choose to be notified by email when recieving a PM the message will be included in the email.

Thread Prefixes are attached to thread titles to help identify what they're about. In this news forum for example there are currently prefixes to separate news, issues and suggestions. Prefixes may be added to other forums if required.

AJAX updating. Some of the things you could do on the forum, such as rating a thread, required a page reload afterwards. With AJAX updating that's no longer needed.

There are also numerous tools to help me and the moderators keep the spammers out and do our jobs more effectively.

Now, it is possible that some stuff doesn't work. vBulletin is a big piece of software and it's hard to test everything, so please report anything at all that looks odd or doesn't work. I don't mind people private messaging me if they'd prefer.
Any site suggestions should be put in a new thread.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unfortunately I was unable to get the spell checker working. Internet Explorer had, erm, issues*. Since Firefox and Opera have built in spell checkers there was no need to keep it for them.

* anyone who's ever done web development will know what I mean

1 - 2 of 2 Posts