Runners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a go on the body fat scales at the gym today- the ones where it measures height, BMI, weight and body fat.
Apparently they ARE accurate- I had to put my feet in a certain place and hold onto the metal grips at the side!

Anyways, my body fat percentage is 27.4% and my BMI is 25.2

Is this good or bad?
I'm 5'7 and female!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Don't bother with BMI - on that scale, most professional rugby players are classed as obese!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been classed as obese since about 2 months old...:lol: I tend to go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. If i feel healthy but have a few wobbly bits then so be it..(admitidly I can't remember the time I only had a few wobbly bits.. normally its loads but hey thats why I run):)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I don't take too much notice of BMI - the biggest flaw is that it doesn't allow for muscle mass, muscle being heavier than fat. As Colin says, according to BMI Redgrave & Pinsent etc. were classed as obese at the peak of their careers, which is obviously ridiculous.

If you look in the mirror and like what you see, then you're doing OK! ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
BMI ranges for women:

below 18.5 = underweight, 18.5 - 24.9 = normal 25 - 29.9 = overweight.
However BMI doesn't take into account lean body mass and as a runner you may have more muscle mass that joe bloggs who doesn't exercise.

Body fat rages for women aged 20 - 40:
21 - 33% = health range.

So as the others said you are healthy :0)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opinions guys :)
I'm still trying to lose a stone but I appear to be stuck at this current weight!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe that BMI is a helpful indicator for runners.

If you are outside of the normal range then getting inside it would certainly improve your times. People often point to Redgrave and Jonny Wilkinson as being in the obese range and this is incorrect, at their peak they both came in around 26-27 BMI which puts them slightly over normal and into the overweight category, not obese. Remember, both these guys were engineered by their coaches for power so the extra muscular weight was important to them.

Try and name me a >400M pro runner who has a BMI > 25!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts