Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local gym today and ran 5k which I was delighted with. I decided on the way out to grab one of the gym attendants to give me a check on my weight, and body fat percentage!!! to my horror it is 34!!! which is apparently on the high side...can anyone please advise what I can do to get this down. My diet is a healthy one with plenty of fruit and veg, wholemeal bread, low fat milk, yogurts etc etc etc...all the usual stuff. Can anyone give me any idea on what I can do...:( :(

PS I am 42 years old and my weights is 9stone 4lbs

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
body fat percentage of 34 is only outside what is perceived 'acceptable', if you have a healthy diet, I would assume if you continue to train a couple of times a week it will soon come down.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I hope so...i have been training 4/5 times a week since April and am now running since August 3-5 miles about 4 times a week with about 3 sessions in the gym as well!!!!. I am in despair as I don't know what else I can do... I was 9stone 10lbs when I started so I have lost a bit of weight!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Nellie, if you are training, eating well, and generally feeling fine about yourself - don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure my percentage would make yours look tiny, but I've never been tested, and just continue to train and enjoy it.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Nellie,
I don't trust body fat measurements. At the gym recently mine was 28.7% whereas on my body fat scales at home I'm normally 16%.
Something wrong somewhere!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also, if you measure yourself early morning before breakfast, and again later in the day, you can find that your body fat percentage varies by as much as 5 to 10 points. At least in my own experience of my own home monitor, day in day out. Probably the same effect that Steve is seeing.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Never trust them.

My monitor at home never reads less than 25.

That can`t possibly be right.

I wish..:d

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a free set of scales which when you put your age and sex into them when you step on them they can calculate your BFP! How accurate they are i'm not sure...but then I would say that!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
If its a scales then they must calulate your BFP from you weight. And if you have a built muscle, then that will weigh more than fat, making your BFP seem higher than it actually is. Is that possible?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, it's a fact, women's body fat does vary more during the day. It's to do with water retention and stuff like that.

I never trust my "fat" scales at home - always get in done properly at the gym.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts