Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only a small race compared to those doing the London marathon or Sheffield half marathon today.

woke up to find the sky full of rain and i was thankful for it. race start is only around the corner, but i still made sure i was there nice and early to help out (run for the club).

a few hills on the course, only one that was short and steepish, the others had a lot less gradient but were more drawn out sapping the energy at times.

after beng used to the 5k park runs i was ready to stop at half way, but managed to carry on and i did have the bonus of knowing most of the marshalls so got good support from them.

sun started to break out as i got to the last couple of K, but was not going to be a factor at that point as i pushed on towards the finish.

while my previous pb was not that great a time, i managed to knock 18 and a half minutes off it. chip time 54.34 (gun time 54.37). really pleased to have gone under the hour mark as that was one of my goals when i started. :d

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well done Dave.

I think I saw you today and passed you at about 6k :d

Didn't have the best race myself, will write it up a bit later.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My short version race report (long ones usually appear on blog in my sig later!!)

Bit of a mystery tour to get there, but all fine, cool and rainy, ideal conditions - but it turned out to be quite humid later in the morning, with the sun pressing down on the cloud cover so plenty of moisture in the air.

Set off near the front of the field and felt fine, darted about a bit then settled. Had no idea what pace I was going, refused to look at Garmin. Started to feel a bit heavy legged at 3k but just told myself to maintain the pace. The hills, although not major, were quite sapping and I really did feel I was starting to go backwards, which looking back was probably humidity as well. People started overtaking me at 6 and 7k, and I managed to keep going up the big long hill.

Then it was some downhill coasting and just trying to maintain form, reached 9k and was hurting really badly. Then to add to this I felt a pain in my right upper leg/groin which started to hurt with every step, so I ended up basically hobbling/limping the the last kilometre. And swearing a lot. If it weren't for the fact I knew I'd picked up an injury and didn't want to make it worse, I would have maintained my form, but I kind of felt I was nowhere near a PB or anything anyway so there was no point pushing just to shave a few seconds off the last 800m - felt really rubbish though as I slowed and a load of people swung past me like they'd been propelled by planetary gravity and sent on their merry way :| Hobbled over the line in 51:43, 30 seconds slower than last year's race, would probably have at least got a course PB if not for the injury :'(

Looking at my splits I certainly seemed to go off too quickly (4:41, then 4:56, the nothing under 5 mins for the rest of the race).

Am still hobbling. So it's an afternoon of painkillers and snooker and VLM reports I suppose :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well done yourself Rob. there was a couple of people i thought i recognised from here or runners world but never 100% sure. you should of given me a swift kick up the backside. the downhill between 8 and 9k i live parallel with, and so tempted to nip home for a brew lol.

hope the injuries clear up pretty quick for you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well done Dave, 18 and half minutes off your pb is huge! Well done too Rob, sorry your race didn't go so well as hoped, and I hope the injury is nothing serious and goes away soon.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Laura. i am still smiling with the chunk i knocked off, just a shame i cant knock that much off every race lol.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thanks Laura. i am still smiling with the chunk i knocked off, just a shame i cant knock that much off every race lol.
If you knock that much off again in your next 10k, you'd probably never stop smiling :d ;)

You're doing the Great Manchester aren't you? Not long now, do you plan to attempt to beat today's time (will be a bit flatter, but a lot more crowded too!)?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you knock that much off again in your next 10k, you'd probably never stop smiling :d ;)

You're doing the Great Manchester aren't you? Not long now, do you plan to attempt to beat today's time (will be a bit flatter, but a lot more crowded too!)?
smiling, i think the top half of my head would fall off it would be so wide lol.

now my marathon time, i recon i can knock a good hour+ off lol. think i did it in around 6.05 in 2001, but they were packing the finish up when i got there, so never recieved an official time :((

im doing beaverbrooks blackpool 10k on 9th sept where i may try to beat todays time (sea breeze and a later start time means it may be a bit warm).

manchester if i can get some clear space i'll give it a go, but will just go there to enjoy the occasion. few beers afterwards and then watch ennis in the 150m.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
smiling, i think the top half of my head would fall off it would be so wide lol.

now my marathon time, i recon i can knock a good hour+ off lol. think i did it in around 6.05 in 2001, but they were packing the finish up when i got there, so never recieved an official time :((

im doing beaverbrooks blackpool 10k on 9th sept where i may try to beat todays time (sea breeze and a later start time means it may be a bit warm).

manchester if i can get some clear space i'll give it a go, but will just go there to enjoy the occasion. few beers afterwards and then watch ennis in the 150m.
Cool, that's more or less my plan for Manchester too, apart from the beers. Maybe J20 or caramel latte for me :d

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, that's more or less my plan for Manchester too, apart from the beers. Maybe J20 or caramel latte for me :d
after the amount of southern comfort i drank friday night, i may stick to coffee lol. i have no memory of most of the night, but others made sure they had the evidence to show me :lol:

full results in case you've not seen them....

http://www.chiptiming.co.uk/pdf/100425_Bolton10k.pdf

thanks Grant :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well done Dave, all your hard work paid off. No flies off you at the moment, can i have some of what you are having lol it seems to be working for you !!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Vonnie. its pretty much hunger and desire driving my times down. the knee felt stiff again at 9k today and i was going to be happy just to finish, then in the last 50m i said sod it and just grinned through the pain and picked 3 or 4 off to cross the line before them lol. (they ended up havinf faster chip times, but it was the will to cross the line before them lol)

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Well done Dave & Rob. You will both leave me for dust at Manchester

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Lisa. i expect manchester to be a bit slower with the crowds. im sure you'll do fine too Lisa, should be good crowds on the day to help push you along.

Rob, race pics here....

http://www.runningpix.co.uk/Roadpics/Bolton10K 1020D/index.htm

seems i was missed it the individual shots, but im in the harriers team shot at the start then helping give shirts out at the end.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave that is TREMENDOUS RESULT well done 18.5 mins off of your PB, high five!! :d

RRR Sorry to hear your race didn't go so well, pesky injury :mad: Hope it doesn't cause you too many issues for the next lined up race...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
thanks Lisa. i expect manchester to be a bit slower with the crowds. im sure you'll do fine too Lisa, should be good crowds on the day to help push you along.

Rob, race pics here....

http://www.runningpix.co.uk/Roadpics/Bolton10K 1020D/index.htm

seems i was missed it the individual shots, but im in the harriers team shot at the start then helping give shirts out at the end.
Think they missed me - probably a good job, I would have been making rude gestures with my mouth :lol:

RRR Sorry to hear your race didn't go so well, pesky injury :mad: Hope it doesn't cause you too many issues for the next lined up race...
Thanks TT. Still hobbling, is going to take a bit of rest i think. Next one is Great Manchester, so will just aim to get fit enough to be able to make it round and enjoy the occasion and get my medal :d

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks TT. its nice to see the training over the last few months does make a difference. now to chase one of them nice little medals you earned yesterday :)

lol @ Rob, im kind of glad i got missed in the individual shots too, i hate photos at the best of times

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
thanks TT. its nice to see the training over the last few months does make a difference. now to chase one of them nice little medals you earned yesterday :)

lol @ Rob, im kind of glad i got missed in the individual shots too, i hate photos at the best of times
Go for it Dave you won't regret it, it took me a very long time to enter for London, I was of the thinking marathons were for the crazies and yesterday proved it LOL :lol::wacko:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go for it Dave you won't regret it, it took me a very long time to enter for London, I was of the thinking marathons were for the crazies and yesterday proved it LOL :lol::wacko:
Seems after the result you had, despite waiting to enter london, you timed it right for experience and form to come together for a great run.
will do my best to get into London next year. will enter the ballot, then if rejected i can still try to get one of my clubs places in it (think they have 2). shame they have scrapped the 5 failure scheme though :((

2 more 10k's and a half to keep me occupied for the next couple of months at least :d

1 - 20 of 23 Posts