Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend some good books about running? Any format - autobiographies, training guides etc. etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
everest2005 said:
Can anyone recommend some good books about running? Any format - autobiographies, training guides etc. etc.
For training purposes, I've used "The complete runners handbook" by Bob Glover and friends. It pretty much covers all aspects of running from basis training to more slightly more advanced.
If you are of a more advanced stage the "The competitive runners handbook" is the biz from what I can gather.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Here we go....

1.Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. The bible for training and running science.
2.Run Strong by Kevin Beck. Another techy book
3.Once a Runner by J L Parker.....best running novel EVER!
4.A cold clear day. About 60's marathoner Buddy Edelen
5.Duel in the sun.John Brant About the Salazar/Beardsley duel in Boston
6.The lonely breed by Ron Clarke. 60's book about famous ish runners
7. Zatopek! Zatopek!
8.Sub 4 by Chris Lear. About Alan Webb and the mile
9. Running with the Buffaloes by Chris Lear. All about US college xc
10.The self made olympian by Ron Dawes

Get on Amazon, ebay or spend hours in book shops mate!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
There are so many books out there.
Usually lots published around Olympic Games.
Amazon is great. Sportspages in London used to be awesome but sadly closed down.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd second Stupot's recommendation - Bob Glover's books have been in print for a long time - they read well and are v interesting.

I once picked up a copy of "Lore Of Running" in Waterstones - I'm interested but it scared me off - not exactly light reading, is it?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've got quite a few books on running but a couple of years ago, when I was really struggling for motivation, I bought 'Running Within' by Jerry Lynch and Warren Scott. It really made a difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The lore of Running is a book you dip into,the section on learning from the experts is great,loads of stuff on how past champions trained. I bought a book called Running to the Top by Arthur Lydiard his books are "old school" if like high mileage,periodisation and 7 days a week.Im following his Marathon plan at the moment for FLM seems to be working ok so far

·
Registered
54 Posts
How about The Road to Athens, written by the fastest man ever over the Classic Marathon course, Bill Adcocks. Great pictures, and snippits from Bills training log.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts