Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This is one for those amongst us who like a bit of statistical analysis in their running)
Has anyone ever applied the Borg Scale of Perceived Effort to their running?
This is where you apply a number between 1 and 20 to each run/workout after its completion, to correspond with how hard/easy you found it.
The scale goes something like this:
1-5 = very easy
6-10 = easy
11-15 = moderate
16-19 = hard
20 = severe

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Not used that scale but I do tend to note the level of exertion in a more basic form (i.e. very easy, easy, moderate, hard, very hard). I can't say I've referred back to it at any point but it satisfies me to note down when I've completed a hard/ very hard workout :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that the application of an actual number allows for a more accurate comparison of similar runs/workouts, thereby enabling you to gauge improvement. ;)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
My "scale" is just like Richard's... But this one does seem more precise...
I will give it a go, continuing with the other and then see how I feel about it.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I tend to scale my runs by the amount of cursing I do when I finish.

It runs from B to F......................

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Dave said:
I tend to scale my runs by the amount of cursing I do when I finish.

It runs from B to F......................
:d :d :d :d :d :d

Today I would say it was a fast (but not hard) run.
Borg... I would risk a 12/13

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
richardsimkiss said:
Obviously the Borg scale is more precise - but I don't think my brain would cope with 20 levels of intensity to choose from, lol!
You can simplify it by scaling the whole thing down, just using 1-10. :d I think that I once tried this but ended up introducing "halves" when I couldn't decide, say, between a 7 and an 8! :embarrassed: ... so basically this became the same as using 1-20;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts