Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've been running for about a year and am currently training for a half-marathon. My problem is that when I run first thing in the morning I often get 15 mins into my run and get terrible stomach pains and have to find a toilet quickly! I've tried going brfore I start to run but to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem?:embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hello and welcome:)

It doesn't sound like fun, may be better to run in the woods so you can just nip behind a bush;) and not be hassled looking for a toilet.

Seriously though I'm not sure, unless you just try running later or getting up earlier.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Do you have anything to eat/drink before your run?

I find that a hot cup of tea and a piece of toast first thing gets me "moving" if you see what I mean!:embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Obigone said:
Do you have anything to eat/drink before your run?

I find that a hot cup of tea and a piece of toast first thing gets me "moving" if you see what I mean!:embarrassed:
Two or three cups of hot coffee and a cold energy drink works the same for me Obigone.

JJO.
I know it can be a pain when your running early,but I always get up at least 45 minutes before I plan to go out so that my body has time to do what I want it to before I run.

On the odd days that it dosn`t work I just run a mile or so close to home to get things moving,pop indoors,sort myself out and go out again.

All the best,and welcome.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
ahh, the famous runner's runs ;) I've never suffered this, but i hear it is quite normal. I guess all that movement first thing in the morning, gets other things moving too. I guess you are going to just have to try making dietary changes and make sure you have a "movement" before you go running.

Or, if you are really brave, you could wear a nappy ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
me too!

I have this problem too, but not just in the morning! I haven't found a way to avoid it yet and i've had the problem for about two years... Pelvic floor exercises might help but I haven't really done much of them so I'm not sure. I always make sure I go to the toilet a couple of times before I train or race to try get it all out of my system.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all

Never run longer that 40 mins so never experienced the 'movement' during a run.

I always try to go before I leave.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
298 Posts
My friend suffers terribly from this.... I take paper on all my runs just in case....

As Obigone suggests, I always do a cup of tea and toast before longer runs, and that normally "clears my pipes" before I set off..... :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I used to suffer but not anymore... I believe water is the main answer, along with leaving some time between breakfast and the run.

I have a big glass of water before bed and then another one as soon as I get up. Breakfast no less than 1 and a half to 2 hours before the run, and I'm ok.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Trinity said:
I used to suffer but not anymore... I believe water is the main answer, along with leaving some time between breakfast and the run.

I have a big glass of water before bed and then another one as soon as I get up. Breakfast no less than 1 and a half to 2 hours before the run, and I'm ok.
Probably a good way to do things, but not really practical if you are running at 5am. Getting up at 3-30 am for breakfast? :( I wouldn't fancy that. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
835 Posts
pedestrian said:
Probably a good way to do things, but not really practical if you are running at 5am. Getting up at 3-30 am for breakfast? :( I wouldn't fancy that. :embarrassed:
Bloomin' eck! That would mean going to bed at the same time as the children..... I'd never escape them!:eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the runner's run once last week and as you said it's not much fun. I tried to tough it out for a few miles but it got the better of me and I sprinted all the way home leaving foul odors behind :embarrassed: .

Usually though, I've managed to work myself into a pattern where I relieve myself just before going out for a run. In my experience if all your runs start at the same time, you usually don't have to worry about bowel movements as your body works them around your running schedule. Last year I was more irregular with my training times and every so often I would get stomach pains and bowel movements during training, although not intense enough to stop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts