Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i have only ever done 20min jogging sessions on the treadmill at the gym but i want to start training properly with a view to enter the London marathon next year. I would love some advise on safe appropriate training, can anyone give me any advise?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to running :)

1. Build things very slowly, don't try to do too much too soon.
2. Slowly begin to build on your 20 minutes runs to increase the length of time you are running
3. Take regular rest days between runs, let your legs get used to the pressures of running
4. Invest in some proper running shoes, fitted at a running shop - don't rely on any old trainers, you risk injury.
5. Have a surf around this site and others and read about what others do and pick up hints and tips and look at training schedules.

From nothing to a marathon is a huuuuuge step, but not impossible. (Its also a bugger to actually get in the London Marathon, 1:4 chance and don't forget there are other races than London and other distances than a marathon)

Good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good luck Grace!

No8's suggestions all sound excellent!

I'd also second what he says about thinking about other races too.

I love FLM - I've really quite excited, inspired and enchanted both watching it and running it.

But I've definitely had more fun actually racing shorter races - from the weekly 5km race I do, to the Nike 10km races, to the annual local 8 mile, 10 mile and HM races I do.... and I also quite enjoy just going out for a plod a few times a week.

I think you could be really well prepared for a marathon next April if:
- you were running 5km in the next 2 months (which you are not far off)
- you were running 10km by the end of the summer
- you were racing your first 10 miler or HM this autumn/winter

But I also think you'd benefit more from the running, you'd enjoy it more and you'd be more likely to do well and stay running if you took 2 or more years of regular (at least once every 2 months) racing at shorter distances before you tackled FLM.

Oh... and don't be afraid to turn up to your local club - they will be very friendly!

Wow - am I waffling on today or what?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts