Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first half marathon at the end of May and before then I'll probably be due a new pair of running shoes. How long do peeps advise breaking them in for?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Shoes tend to be at their best for 500 miles so as long as you've done 60 miles or so in them I reckon you'll be fine for the 1/2m. That probably means you'll need to be wearing them at least 3 weeks pre -race.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment I'm doing about 12 miles a week. Obviously that is going to increase as I progress through my training schedule. However on that basis it would probably take me almost a year to run 500 miles - someone told me either 500 miles or 6 months?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Depends on the shoe. Some are great straight from the box others need to be run it, only you can say when they are ready. But after 15 or 20 miles I should say you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably best not to buy them the day before though particularly if I do change my shoes

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Definitely don't do that.

It's the same with other gear too...you want clothes you are comfortable with.

There's plenty of time to build up your mileage for May....you'll be doing 30-35 miles per week towards the end of training...might seem impossible now but it really isn't!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does actually I had an uncomfortable run this morning only managed 2.6 miles in 30 mins. My left leg feels 'awkward' and I keep getting shootings pains up the front of my thigh. My shins are a little sore as well but presumably that's normal after a run???

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a "bad 'un" this morning.
Sore shins are not unusual at all. I have got used to running shin pain off though that may not be the best policy. It really depends on how long the pain lasts during and after each run.

Hopefully your other woes will be just one offs and you'll be ok to run tomorrow or Thursday. Try stretching a bit more and walking with long strides before your next run.

My next 1/2m is in 3 weeks so I feel as if I need to have a good couple of runs in the next 2 weeks to get anywhere near my target! An 8ish miler planned tonight....just looked out the window...it's pouring down and really windy!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whenever I see rain I'm always reminded of Billy Conolly.

I think you are probably right on a more postive note there were moments during this mornings run where I felt like I was gliding.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I`ve got a 10k at the weekend,so 7/8 miles tonight and then wind things down a bit ,ready for Sunday.

Does that sound about right Steve ?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a fantastic club run tonight - covered 4.6 miles at 11 minutes per mile pace no noticeable aches and pains as yet and I don't feel too tired.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I also had a great run last night. I just hope I can feel that good on Sunday for my 10k which will only be my second ever race.

I would love to break 53.30.

Slow for most of you I know,but it would be great for me on quite a hilly course.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
All the best for Sunday Mate! - I'm supremely confident for you, I hope you will be posting on Monday that the 50 minute barrier has been broken.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Steady Edwina,

I bought a pair of Asics a couple of months before my Half Marathon, I was on average running about 10 - 12 miles a week. So I reckon I mustered 90 ish miles with the new ones before the bid day arrived.

I've never had any problem with these shoes, would recommend then.

HTH

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Were they Asics 2110? I'm afraid they don't offer me enough support - the kanyos were better but they were too tight around the heel.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Not sure of the exact number, they look very similiar to those in your link, I thow they have the gel in the heel, which I was led to believe was good if you are flat footed (like me)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
All the best for Sunday Mate! - I'm supremely confident for you, I hope you will be posting on Monday that the 50 minute barrier has been broken.

Cheers for the support Granty,but breaking 50 minutes still seems a distant dream.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
3:30 to make up over 6 miles. - sounds very getable Dave.

Feeling good last night, it's all sounding like the preparation for a record ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts