Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I could do with your helpful advice again, a guy I work with who's run quite a few Marathons reckons for each week you miss training your fitness goes back 3 weeks!

Is this true, this concerns me somewhat as I'm on holiday soon and not sure whether I'm going to be able to run. I'm currently doing 3, 3 mile runs each week.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it was as drastic as that. I've just been out for almost 3 weeks and other than being a wee bit slower and a bit stiff no real problems.

·
Registered
664 Posts
glib stat which on it's own is meaningless. don't worry about your holiday. many taper for a week before a race anyway. if you do a reasonable amount of training runs then a couple of weeks off will have no discernable effect. oddly what I have found is that in fact I don't have a couple of weeks off, enjoy running too much; so the kit comes on holiday, and I discover that running in the heat of Barcelona or Nice is a bit tougher than normal training but still good fun.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Don't worry about numbers... a week off won't do you any harm, but it could well be that a weeks total rest loses you 3 weeks fitness... but how much fitness do you gain in 3 weeks anyway eh? Probably less than you think! For most people you'd still be running virtually the same distances and speeds at the beginning and end of a 3 week period...

and... even if you did lose three weeks fitness, it won't take you 3 weeks to get that fitness back - give it a week or two at most and you'll be back where you were ;) Enjoy your hols and don't feel bad if you don't run! You're there to relax and enjoy yourself :cool:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I had a week off because of a calf strain and ran a 10k PB on Sunday, like calton said, a lot of people taper towards a race day anyway. I've just had another quiet week, mind :s did a bit of hiking in the lakes so I'd like to think I've done something useful :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, I had 3 months off let alone a couple of weeks and after about 3 weeks training, I'm almost back to the same level I was before

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had to take a week off my marathon schedule (was on here moaning about it a few weeks ago!) and freaking about fitness loss. to tell the truth I think the week off did me good. I struggled a wee bit today at the end of my run but I think the mind is the most important element in recovery.

I have found in the past that the first run back after a break should be super dooper easy and tell yourself that before you go out on it. Once your running your body will dictate the pace and don't get guilty about slowing/ stopping to stretch - you are just re educating your muscle memory!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about it. You might have read that I was attacked by a dog last week and had to wait until today to run again due to the pain in my leg and a dodgy tummy from the antibiotics. Before today the most I had run comfortably was 2.2 miles but today after almost a week off I ran for over 3 miles and loved every second! I think sometimes a break can do your body good :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
A break allows your body to repair, mentally and physically. Your immune system will return to normal. 1 week or 2 will not make a difference. You have seen in yourself how quickly the gains can come in the beginning. That time off will not destroy that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't worry about this. I have a marathon this Sunday and have tapered for the last
two weeks - prior to that I was on holiday which was unfortunate. But . . . I did swim everyday, take a bike out and join a local gym. If you are that worried about going on holiday there is always something you can do about it. It depends how commited you are.

·
Registered
131 Posts
since doing a half marathon a couple of weeks ago i've only done 2 5k runs. combination of work demands and a few minor long-standing twinges made me decide to have a short break. planning to get my 25-35 miles a week schedule back on track from this weekend onwards.

personally i felt like i needed the break mentally. if ive lost a bit of fitness then its a price i'm prepared to pay for feeling enthusiastic about running rather than sloggin on regardless.

apart from anything elses, i'm fired up again by the fact that i just got confirmation of my place in the Paris Half Marathon next March. Here we go again.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I am on the 4th day of rest following some hard training and 2 races in as many weeks.

I figured now was the best time to take a little mini break - I was going to go for a very easy run today but things have cropped up to prevent me, so am just being philosophical and figuring an extra day of rest won't do me any harm, as I have no imminent races to prepare for, and have plenty of winter months ahead to work with.

Just hoping the 4 days doesn't turn into a week :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts