Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have just returned from my new run. I've got 2 that I do, one is 2.4 miles and one is 3.1 miles. I'm hoping that when I can run the 3.1 mile one without stopping I'll be able to go in for a 5K race.

I have only done the 3.1 mile one twice and I'm thinking of alternating between the two distances. I go running every other day so today it was the long run, Tuesday the 2.4, Thursday the 3.1 etc etc

Firstly.. does this sound like a good plan or am I biting off too much?? I read that your distance should only increase by 10% a week..

The main question I have is I need some advice on how to get into a rhythm when I run. My long run isn't a circle, I basically run to a cemetary just over 1.5 miles away and then run back. The trouble is when I'm running I'm focussed on getting to the cemetary. I can make myself run that far without stopping but when I get there I find it very hard mentally to just turn around and carry on running.

My body wants to stop and walk for a bit, have a drink of water and then start running. Then, because I've already stopped once, I find it hard to do long stints of running again.

This is particularly frustrating because I can do my 2.4 mile run without stopping so I know that I can run further without stopping for a walk but its a mixture of psychological block and not getting in a proper running rhythm I think...

I hope all this ramble makes sense... any suggestions / help / advice out there??

Many thanks

:)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi Johnny.

You're right about some people recommending the 10% increase is the max you should go for. A gradual build up in mileage is probably the best approach to avoid a higher risk of injury from what I've read.
I have found that if I have had a problem with a distance such as you have that I would make myself run say a hundred yards beyond the point where I want to stop or say to the next lamp post before I do. When I get there I wouldn't stop but aim for the next lamp post and so on until the desire to stop passes.

It may also be that you are running too quickly. Perhaps try slowing down to a conversational pace to allow yourself to get through this barrier if you are not already doing so.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Johnny T said:
Hi all,

I have just returned from my new run. I've got 2 that I do, one is 2.4 miles and one is 3.1 miles. I'm hoping that when I can run the 3.1 mile one without stopping I'll be able to go in for a 5K race.

I have only done the 3.1 mile one twice and I'm thinking of alternating between the two distances. I go running every other day so today it was the long run, Tuesday the 2.4, Thursday the 3.1 etc etc

Firstly.. does this sound like a good plan or am I biting off too much?? I read that your distance should only increase by 10% a week..

The main question I have is I need some advice on how to get into a rhythm when I run. My long run isn't a circle, I basically run to a cemetary just over 1.5 miles away and then run back. The trouble is when I'm running I'm focussed on getting to the cemetary. I can make myself run that far without stopping but when I get there I find it very hard mentally to just turn around and carry on running.

My body wants to stop and walk for a bit, have a drink of water and then start running. Then, because I've already stopped once, I find it hard to do long stints of running again.

This is particularly frustrating because I can do my 2.4 mile run without stopping so I know that I can run further without stopping for a walk but its a mixture of psychological block and not getting in a proper running rhythm I think...

I hope all this ramble makes sense... any suggestions / help / advice out there??

Many thanks

hi johnnyt my advice would be to vary your route more don't at this stage get to hung up over times and distances a gradual build up to harder running is the key to improving your overall running

You also don't want to do too much too soon as you will run the risk of injury lay off and demotivation

As for the question of running and rythm it will come naturally to you you just have to be patient !

There should be no problem in you running a 5k as long as you build a good foundation ,
and you set yourself a realistic target.
It's like everything we do in life preparation is the key it's not glamorous it's not always fun ,but it's vital if we want the job done well

take it easy ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi JT

It is definitely phycological, I was an absolute nightmare when I first started running I would get to a certain point and say "that's it no more, I am walking the rest", like HF said run further past the point you would normally stop, which is what I would do and eventually you will start to think I can do this and you will naturally push on.

Or try and find another route which is continuous where you are not running to a point and turning around and running back.

Hope this helps

TT

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try that technique of pushing myself a little further and seeing if the desire to stop passes.

I hope the breathing thing does come naturally after a while. I will try and slow down a bit more and see if this helps.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Johnny T said:
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try that technique of pushing myself a little further and seeing if the desire to stop passes.

I hope the breathing thing does come naturally after a while. I will try and slow down a bit more and see if this helps.

with the breathing, try counting 3 breaths in and 3 out or 3 in and 2 out, this will help regulate your breathing and after a while you will find your natural breathing while running and you won't need to count.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
also when you think you are finding hard mentally, do a body check, check your legs aren't aching, you are breathing ok etc if all these seem ok then you know its just your mind playing havoc with you. Running isn't just physically challenging alot of it can be mental too. :d

You will get to enjoy it I promise :eek:

TT

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
one eyed runner said:
Breathe in..........and then breathe out. It's a technique thats kept me going for 44 years.
I truly recommend it:d :d

Is it's secretly known as being alive? ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TT, some great advice there (as always) thanks very much. I'm going to try and persuade my mate to come with me next time and hopefully running with someone will help me get passed the times that I want to stop. I'll pay more attention to my breathing though and see if that helps me develop a better rhythm.

one eyed runner said:
Breathe in..........and then breathe out. It's a technique thats kept me going for 44 years.
I truly recommend it:d :d
One-Eyed, laughed at one mate... :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Do what ever it takes to make you achieve your target, when you first get started there is such a lot to take in and you won't always remember it at the time when it's most important but as time goes on things start to fall into place.

Do also expect to have some crappy run outs (I was carefull how I wrote that) and when this happens don't kick yourself they happen to everyone at all levels.

Keep at it and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Definately a lot of it is psychological.

I experiment a lot with the breathing, I seem to default to 3 in/2 out since I started trying it after reading about it in the Chi book. But when it starts to go a bit uphil or into the wind I often notice I've switched to 2 in/2 out but If I'm on a bit of a downhill slope I fall into 3 in/1 out. Dunno what it's all about but it certainly gives me something to take my mind off the aches and pains.:eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jason said:
Definately a lot of it is psychological.

I experiment a lot with the breathing, I seem to default to 3 in/2 out since I started trying it after reading about it in the Chi book. But when it starts to go a bit uphil or into the wind I often notice I've switched to 2 in/2 out but If I'm on a bit of a downhill slope I fall into 3 in/1 out. Dunno what it's all about but it certainly gives me something to take my mind off the aches and pains.:eek:
When you say 3 in / 2 out do you mean you breathe in 3 times before breathing out twice?
(apologies if I'm being a bit dense here..). Are you taking just short shallow breaths??

Please explain a bit further...

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
hi johnny t
Some very interesting posts here !

Have you tried the hokey kokey method in out in out then shake it all about

i apologise for my stupid sense of humour:p

·
Registered
159 Posts
The numbers correspond to your steps, so 3 in/2 out might start with breathing in as your left foot hits the floor then carries on while your right foot hits the floor and then the left again, then you start to breathe out as your right foot hits the floor and then the left. Then you start to breathe in again as your right foot hits the floor.

Left in
Right in
Left in
Right out
Left out
Right in
Left in
Right in
Left out
Right out
Left in
Right in
Left in
Right out
Left out
Right in
Left in
Right in
Left out
Right out
Left in
Right in
Left in
Right out
Left out
Right in
Left in
Right in
Left out
Right out
Left in
Right in
Left in
Right out
Left out
Right in
Left in
Right in
Left out
Right out

It feels less rythmic with odd numbers as the foot that you start on alternates each time.

I'd start with 2 in/2 out and see how you go.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jason... I get ya! A big thanks for clearing that up. I'll give it a go next time I go out (tomorrow night) and see how I get on... Cheers. ;)

Cheriton, never apologise for having a sense of humour... no matter how stupid it is! :d :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
JT, your schedule sounds fine btw... you won't be overdoing it (if you are you'll soon feel it!) I'd say you'd be fine to enter a 5k now, you don't need to be able to run the lot non-stop!

As for getting into a rythm, it'll come with time - It still takes me between 10-30mins to settle into a really comfortable pace.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just finished my run (and had a shower and a cup of tea)...

Really tried to concentrate on my breathing tonight. I couldn't get the 2 in/3 out thing. I don't know whether my steps are too short or my breaths too big but I was doing about 5 paces before I was ready to breathe out??

However.. on the way back I really got into a rhythm. I wasn't particularly concentrating on it but I just opened my stride a bit (to try and beat my PB) and got into a really good pace. I found the run back really enjoyable and felt full of energy.

The last mile (it was a 2.4 mile run) felt fantastic... (BTW I didn't beat my PB but I'm not fussed - there's always next time)

I'm going to try and get that pace earlier when I go out on Thursday night.

I'll keep ya posted.

(Thanks for the comments Richard, I've heard of a 5K race in March and I'm thinking of having a go at it just to treat it as an experience..)

;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Johnny T said:
Just finished my run (and had a shower and a cup of tea)...

Really tried to concentrate on my breathing tonight. I couldn't get the 2 in/3 out thing. I don't know whether my steps are too short or my breaths too big but I was doing about 5 paces before I was ready to breathe out??

However.. on the way back I really got into a rhythm. I wasn't particularly concentrating on it but I just opened my stride a bit (to try and beat my PB) and got into a really good pace. I found the run back really enjoyable and felt full of energy.

The last mile (it was a 2.4 mile run) felt fantastic... (BTW I didn't beat my PB but I'm not fussed - there's always next time)

I'm going to try and get that pace earlier when I go out on Thursday night.

I'll keep ya posted.

(Thanks for the comments Richard, I've heard of a 5K race in March and I'm thinking of having a go at it just to treat it as an experience..)

;)
The reason you might not have done so well on the way out would probably be you not being settled in your run, but on the way back you are warmed up and HR etc will have settled, so bare that in mind when you set off tomorrow. :d

I used to count in for 3 and out for 2.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TT.. yep, that sounds like it could have been it... will bear it in mind on Thursday ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts