Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Im new to running, if im honest I’d say my fitness level is very poor but been banging away at it for about 7 weeks now doing 6 two mile road runs a week with one (usually a Friday) rest night, managed to increase from 12mm to just over 10mm legs feel strong and want to keep going but for the life of me I can’t get my breathing right and find myself gasping for air the whole run, so my question is what the heck is going on? and obviously I’m doing something quite wrong but what?
Thanks.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Don’t all answer at once guy’s......Sheeezz!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's impossible to tell without knowing your medical history. It could be anything from exercise-induced asthma, to just running faster than your current fitness allows.
If it's the latter, then I suggest you slow down a bit and focus on running more.
I have coached a few people who started as 100% sedentary. They slowly built up to 3 to 4 30 minute runs a week. Soon after they were quickly able to run faster and longer.
Don't focus so much on pace yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fulmar. Thank you for your reply and regarding asthma well i did start to get symptoms when i lived in a damp property back in the 90s but this rapidly disappeared when we moved a few years later so yes i tend to think your to much to soon theory is probably right so starting tonight I shall slow it right down, again thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everyone's experience is different but may I suggest:
concentrate on a rhythmic breathing cycle. My 'Easy Run' cycle consits of three paces inhale, three exhale - 3 + 3.
My 'normal' cycle for most runs is 2 + 2.
In addition you need to make an effort to empty and fill your lungs as much as possible, no point in having stale air in your lungs, I will occasionally purposefully empty my lungs until my eyes pop and then draw air in.
A Yoga instructor will tell you thet most people only breathe superficially, using only one third of their lung capacity, this needs practice.

You are lucky to have received NO replies; this kind of question usually gets answered with"Don't worry about it" or worse.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Runforrestrun,

I recommend timing your breathing so that you start breathing in when one foot hits the ground, and start breathing out when another foot hits. E.g. Left (start breathing in), Right, Left, Right, Left (start breathing out), Right, Left, Right, Left (start breathing in), Right, Left, Right, Left (start breathing out) etc.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When I started up running again from a 3-4 year break, I found just running was hard without trying to think of some breathing routine. What worked for me was when I got out of breath, I would take a long deep intake of air through the nose and then breath out through my mouth slowly 3-5 times. This would lower my heart rate a bit a help me breath better for a while until I needed to repeat it.

Keep at it, and please let us know how you get on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts