Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out with the club tonight to do our 5 mile handicap race, basically the slowest person heads of first and then the next slowest and so on. The idea is that everyone finishes together or as near as possible.
So from my last handicap race I set of as the second slowest with a previous time of 45 mins. Off I went with the mind set of pushing myself and really trying my hardest.

I managed to catch the first runner just before the half way marker and I was really having a good run, halfway mark (2.5miles) in 20mins, this felt good. From the half way mark is just back the same way as you've just came and I was determined to get sub 20mins on the way back.
I had a quick look behind me and I couldnt see anyway, I must be still pulling away from those behind me, I started to pass the faster runners just heading out to the half way mark and they were going at a good pace.

The final straight and I was still out in front and it felt great, I can only imagine what it must feel like if you were to come in first in a proper, non handicap race!

Over the finish line and I was first.
Final time was 39mins 33 seconds, average pace of 8:01/mi so Im happy with that and it gives me something to beat in January when we start doing our handicap races again :)

O.

·
Registered
506 Posts
sounds like your pace is picking up there, Owain. I started testing myself earlier in the year on my 5 mile runs and the quickest I managed was 41 mins. I definitely run quicker when I'm with other people too. I've lost something of my pace over the last few weeks, I can't quite put my finger on why but my 5k times are slower and feel harder and even all my midweek runs seem to have slowed down and there doesn't seem to be any energy there. I have had some kind of stomach issues over the last month so maybe it's a wider issue that's going on inside me. I keep saying I'm going to spring back but I'm still waiting for it to happen!:) Good on you, anyway - it's a good sign for your next 10k.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
WOW O. congratulations thats a brillant time, you are really getting so good at this now.

:p

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think Im really getting to grips with how my body can be pushed for the shorter distances now and in turn it should help with my half and full marathon times.

As many of you had said, the running club is making a huge difference to my running and everyone kind words on here also help.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The challenge now is to manage the same position in the next handicap race ;)
Congrats on a great run - I can imagine it must've felt fantastic to cross the line first!!!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know what you mean Richard because the next run I go out on I will start in the 35min group so to reach the front I will need to catch the 45 min group and stay in front of them! That will be a good challange.

HF: Yip, great turn around, amazing what getting out and running can do for you. Its all to easy to stop.

O.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thats a great time Owain...Well done and keep up the good work

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
nice going O. you have come so far in such a relatively short amount of time, keep it going :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Good running O.

Maintaining and improving your time is now the target.....sure you will!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts