Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had these for 9 weeks, used them for running/walking and covered 246 miles in that time.
I'm 15 stone male, in HM training.

Can anyone tell me that the wear on these shoes are normal for the life i've had them, and also if you think there is more life in them, or should i be changing them?

If they need to be changed, can anyone recommend a similar shoe that will last longer - I thought these were the perfect pair, not had any problems with them at all, just the wear at the forefoot of the shoe concerns me.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've used Glycerins quite a lot for ultras and marathons. Mine look similar to that (but a lesser extent; tread is still visible) when they are getting worn out, but that's not usually until about 3 - 400 miles.

246 miles is probably around when some people will say that shoes should start to be replaced. Most people will keep wearing them a lot longer than that. Personally, I usually replace at around 350 - 400 miles.

However, how far you've run in them is just a guideline. The real indicator should be the amount of wear and the issue there is not so much the tread, but the support / padding / etc. Wear on the sole might be ok if you don't mind the reduced grip, but it may also be indicative that the bits you can't see are also really worn out. If you try on some brand new shoes you will probably notice the difference.

I don't know what to suggest as an alternative. It may just be that your weight combined with the way you run means you wear shoes out quickly. Maybe try going to your local running specific shoe shop and talking to them about it, they will probably be able to offer good suggestions if nobody here does.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers SB,

I got a few races entered this Autumn, first being a week Sunday - I'm going to order another pair of Glycerin's to be safe and they should see me through to the end year at least.

Can't risk a change of model this late in the game.

Still curious though if the likes of the Ghosts may last longer - hard to find distinguishing reviews between the 2 models.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Cheers SB,

I got a few races entered this Autumn, first being a week Sunday - I'm going to order another pair of Glycerin's to be safe and they should see me through to the end year at least.

Can't risk a change of model this late in the game.

Still curious though if the likes of the Ghosts may last longer - hard to find distinguishing reviews between the 2 models.
I use Ghosts too. Glycerins have more cushioning and as such a thicker sole, but otherwise they are exactly the same. I use Glycerins for long road runs or recovery runs and Ghosts for shorter things like halves, and sometimes marathons but I've tended more towards Glycerins for road marathons now.

I've tried various shoes and I keep coming back to the same ones because they're just the most comfortable for me. I'd say stick with what you like and maybe get someone to look at you running and see if there's anything that could be improved. Maybe you're pounding the ground unnecessarily hard or something like that; the kind of thing that is hard to notice yourself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will look out for a pair of ghosts in the new year and see how they feel then, thank again SB.
I do see someone for 5k parkrun speed training - will ask him to take a look at me on the treadmill sometime and get his opinon - i'm all for change and adaption if it helps me run more efficiently - never thought it could be down to running style, my weight doesn't help i know.

I got some Brooks cascadia 13's for parkrun as it's a mix of towpath, field, and tarmac, and they feel and perform amazing, and as they are just for parkruns think they could do me a full year or 2. - i'm pretty much sold on Brooks at the moment - the comfort in both shoes is the best i've experienced, i'm converted wholly from NB.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Brooks confirmed i could return the Glycerin's for a full refund, which i have done.

I purchased another pair of Glycerins, and a pair of Ghosts in a sale elsewhere and they arrived today.

After sales from Brooks superb, and although i've only just worn the new shoes to try indoors - the Ghosts feel more grounded which i like - this should sort me till spring now.

I had my running coach look at my running yesterday evening, and he didn't see anything untoward, perhaps can lift my foot a fraction earlier - but nothing that would cause a shoe to wear so quickly.

Thanks again for your advice SB

·
Registered
811 Posts
I should have thought of this before; here's photos of my current pair of Glycerin 16s and Ghost 11s. The ghost is on the left and Glycerin on the right.

The Glycerins have 228 miles on them, which includes a marathon, a 20 mile race and a 15 mile race.
The Ghosts have 286 miles on them. I don't remember what races I've done in them; probably a few halves though.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's some comparison between our Glycerin's, thanks for posting that.
I do wonder if mine were just faulty - will find out soon enough.
The ghost although just as comfortable do look to have a more durable sole.

I'll report back at the end of the year, see how i get on with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts