Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
St. Gemma's Hospice in Leeds has some guaranteed entry places available for the BUPA Great North Run 2008.

If you would like to take up one of St. Gemma’s guaranteed entry places we
ask that you pay a £50 entry fee. This fee is refundable from your sponsorship
money once you have collected it and covers your Great North Run cost of
entry.
Requesting an entry fee ensures that St. Gemma’s, as a charity, does not lose
money if the place is not used by one of our runners and refunding your entry
fee means that it will not cost you, personally, anything to take part.

We ask that our runners raise a minimum sponsorship amount of £300 per
person and we can provide tips, advice and ideas to help you raise as much
money as possible.
To show our appreciation of your support will be delighted to :
- Provide you with a free state of the art St. Gemma’s running vest to help
you look the part at the starting line
- Welcome you with a celebratory drink and snacks after the race in our
Runner’s Marquee at the finish
- Offer you a complimentary massage provided by Physiotherapy students
and lecturers to relieve your aching muscles after you complete the race
- Put you in touch with other local members to train with.

If you would like a place contact Laura on 0113 218 5570 before Tuesday 15th July 2008.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Anyone doing this run this weekend? If I had thought about it I could have done it, but its too late now :)

All the best to anyone that is doing it.

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
There must be someone surely!

Not a race I fancy...too many people and too short a distance for that amount of people.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wouldnt mind giving it a go one year, be a good excuse to spend a weekend up North and get some shopping in too!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Been watching it on the box, due for a ten miler today which I didn't feel like but watching all the runners has me raring to go now :d

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aye, I've been watching it on TV and I'm kind of gutted that I'm not there now... not that I'm entirely confident I could actually finish it very well (my longest run so far having been just under 5 miles), but it just looks like such a good thing to be part of. And the weather's totally perfect for it, too - especially given how horrible and rainy it was yesterday.

Definitely taking part next year.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I saw the end of the ladies as I recovered from a glorious 13.1 miles myself :) Just missed breaking the 2hr barrier as well. I am amazed at the speed the pros go.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was shouting at the TV willing the elite mens winner to get to the finish in less than an hour, the bloke was amazing and he's only 21.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I saw the end of the ladies as I recovered from a glorious 13.1 miles myself :) Just missed breaking the 2hr barrier as well. I am amazed at the speed the pros go.

I did a 13.2 this morning, but I went after the race on the telly :p I just had to watch it and glad I did. Very impressive times. Such a beautiful day up here. Perfect for running. I'm sure you'll crack the 2 hour barrier soon.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Did my 10 miles but was practically dead by the end of it with my hip flaring up

(skulks off to the injury section :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was up there yesterday for the Junior event, both my boys entered. The weather was unfortunately lousy but both of them loved it. I've been for the last few years with them, never felt the urge to do it myself though. Can't say I'm ever impressed by the organisation, a lot of the time it was like a rugby scrum, and considering the age of some of the youngest there.. well, I just think its pretty poor. But no doubt they'll want to do it next year, and hey, it beats the Playstation!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I am sure there were a couple of forumites doing this, wasn't one of them Steady Edwina?

I recorded it the GNR and was glad I didn't know the result I was shouting at the telly for Jo Pavey she was sooooooooo close to winning it.

The weather was a far cry from the rubbish I was running in on Sunday :lol:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The weather was a far cry from the rubbish I was running in on Sunday :lol:
That was PB weather - you should want to pack it up and carry it with you :lol:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Did a 10miler on tready watching the race...tried to get the speed on tready up to the pace the ladies were doing......my legs weren't having it though!! ( Didn't even get close!!)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Did a 10miler on tready watching the race...tried to get the speed on tready up to the pace the ladies were doing......my legs weren't having it though!! ( Didn't even get close!!)
The ladies went through 5k in 16 minutes - 8 minutes faster than me going flat out so I wouldn't have even tried :lol:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I thought I might be able to hit just over 5min miling for a nano second but no way!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah !!! I did it!!! ( the great north run) my first one too!! hooray for me!! the atmosphere was fantastic and the weather gorgeous!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first one too, had a great time, the atmosphere was fantastic, people were coming out of their houses with oranges for the runners :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts