Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

Has anyone done this half marathon? I'm considering it, but no idea what the course is like, how big the event is, or how easy it is to get there with public transport. I hear it's fairly flat, and mostly off road?

Katten :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Rich and I will be there because it's part of the Somerset Series, plus it's a club outing so there will be loads of us Hogweed Trotters there.

We've not done it before either though, so can't answer with too much conviction. I understand that it is pretty flat, and there is a fair amount off road, including beach.

We're coming down from Bristol so I can't say how you'd get up there from Exeter, particularly on a Sunday. Can't you get another runner with a car to go ;)

It's run by Burnham Harriers and I've found this snippet of information:
Organised by the Burnham Harriers this is a 13.1 mile route on a fast flat course around Burnham, Brent Knoll, Lympsham and Berrow. For further information and registration forms please ring 01934 732310

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trinity :)

It turns out I can get there with a couple of local buses, so that should be no prob.

Fast and flat sounds good, I've done no hillwork in a while.

But what are the post-race cakes like?!? :cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
One thing that is guaranteed... it will be nothing like Bristol. I'l never understand why peeps keep going back to that over-rated race!

Don't know if there will be cakes at Burnham though...some of the Somerset Series races have been distinctly lacking in the cake department, although they have made up for it in other areas so no complaints... Rich and I just stop and treat ourselves to a muffin on the way home ;) Aint I the lucky one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Katten said:
Hiya

Has anyone done this half marathon? I'm considering it, but no idea what the course is like, how big the event is, or how easy it is to get there with public transport. I hear it's fairly flat, and mostly off road?

Katten :)

DO IT DO IT, sounds good :d Have you looked on Runnersworld (sorry to swear) to see if it rated on there and read the feedback?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
twinkle toes said:
Have you looked on Runnersworld (sorry to swear) to see if it rated on there and read the feedback?

Wash your mouth out!!!!!!!:d :p

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I put my name down for it. Perfect race training for Amsterdam :d

No I haven't looked on Runners World, or any of the other, inferior, running forums :p There was no entry for it anyway :rolleyes:

Rich / Trinity, do you know if the BASC ground is near the centre? It looks like kind of a small place, so should be easy enough to locate

·
Registered
113 Posts
Katten said:
Rich / Trinity, do you know if the BASC ground is near the centre? It looks like kind of a small place, so should be easy enough to locate
Hi Katten,

Just found this thread :embarrassed:

Have a look at the map at www.burnham-on-sea.com/maps.shtml

Most buses coming into Burnham from the south stop at the end of Marine Drive just before the junction with the Esplanade. It's not far to walk from there to Stoddens Road. And some buses go beyond the Esplanade and pass the end of Rectory Road. If you could get off there then you'd have less far to walk.

With regard to the race, I did it in 1988, and there was no beach running then. So much as I hate to contradict Trin :( I think the route's all on road.

Do come and say hi, won't you. There'll be a lot of Hogweeds there, but I'm number 93, which might help. Hope you get there ok and enjoy the race :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
RichK said:
With regard to the race, I did it in 1988, and there was no beach running then. So much as I hate to contradict Trin :( I think the route's all on road.

Well, that's a pleasant surprise, but I'm sure you told me there was offroad and beach running

Maybe you should grace us with your presence on here a little more often, then we'd all be wiser :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've had another look and I'm actually younger than Rich... I'm 92 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Katten said:
Congrats, Trinity, I heard you beat me after all that :p

Thanks Katten... I don't know where it came from, my training wouldn't suggest such a result. But all I can say is that what little training I have done I've made sure it was quality, rather than 'just another run'

I took 1.31 min off my PB, previously set in Cheddar 2 years ago!

It was good to meet you yesterday, albeit a bit brief at the start line.

Well done with your PB too!

It was a good day wasn't it :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well done Trin.

Leaving me in your shadow ....... until the next race! (Maybe)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well done Trinity.always good to get a Pb.

good luck in Amsterdam Katten.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! :d

It was nice to run a 13.1 after training for double that... I ran faster than normal the whole way, still had loads of energy at the end!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts