Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know approximately how many calroies you burn when running. I had heard that the total is based on the distance you run, not the speed.

Do people of differing levels of fitness / build burn calories at the same rate ?.

I have Forerunner 201 which indicated calories burnt and it is reporting less than 200 calories for a 4.5 mile run - does this sound right ?

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I was always of the understanding that it was both distance hence time and also the weight of the individual.

there are various web calculators that allow you to put in how far you have run and your weight then calculate how many calories you have burned (not sure how accurate this is)

·
Registered
143 Posts
120 per mile for me. Unless you are about 6 stone your garmin is giving you a bum steer!
My basic understanding of the subject tells me that if you run your mile slowly you will burn more calories simply because you are on your feet longer and your body will be expending energy on all the basics things. For example if you were standing still, youn would burn an infinite number of calories per mile.

Perhaps Nick B or someone else with some recognised knowledge on the subject can enlighten us!

flakey

·
Registered
69 Posts
I go by approx 100 calories per mile. You obviously use more energy the faster you run but when you run slow its going to take a lot longer to run that mile.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Dale, I now tried mapmyrun site for the run I did this morning and found it very useful. Its good to know my average speed etc too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rkavanagh said:
Does anyone know approximately how many calroies you burn when running. I had heard that the total is based on the distance you run, not the speed.

Do people of differing levels of fitness / build burn calories at the same rate ?.

I have Forerunner 201 which indicated calories burnt and it is reporting less than 200 calories for a 4.5 mile run - does this sound right ?

Thanks,
Richard
Found the answer on another forum - I had the Garmin set up in "cycling" mode not running mode. Yesterdays run in running mode had me burning about 570 calories for 5 miles.

Richard

·
Registered
143 Posts
rkavanagh said:
Found the answer on another forum - I had the Garmin set up in "cycling" mode not running mode. Yesterdays run in running mode had me burning about 570 calories for 5 miles.

Richard
This would suggest that the garmin monitors your calories by distance rather than by some factor of work done via your heart rate.

I say this because my heart rate monitor gives me calories burned without knowing how far I travel, when I compare this to Gmaps calculator it seems remarkably accurate. Does anyone know (or care) if there is some time/work done formula that the boffins at polar use to generate these figures. I'm intrigued:d :embarrassed:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts