Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had what I thought was a thigh strain withh associated scar tissue problems. However when I was touching the area last night I noticed it was numb. After a bit of surfing I found the following

Meralgia paresthetica or Bernhardt-Roth Syndrome or Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment (these are all different names for the same condition)

Any thoughts, experiences would be appreciated

flakey

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My self diagnosis was right! My doc reckons I do have meralgia paresthetica. He says it will probably disappear over a six month period and no need to stop running unless the pain is too much (which it hasn't been so far)

Relief on two counts: nothing nasty wrong with me and I can keep running:)

flakey

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean you didn't google it!!

Basically I have trapped a nerve in my pelvic area (the Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve)
This meant I felt pain in the front left of my (left) thigh just above the knee. It is not constant but particularly when exercising I felt a mild burning sensation.

At first I thought it was just a light strain in my quads (as did my physio!) however after 3 months (inc 6 weeks rest) it was absolutely no better. It was only when I realised the area was numb, which I added to my web search, did I figure it all out. A quick visit to the doc confirmed my diagnosis.

The doc reckons that it will slowly disappear as the nerve regenerates (anything up to 6 months). My only concern is that if the nerve is still compressed then it won't improve without an op which I could do without!

Anyway, atleast I know what it is because I was beginning to worry I had done some serious damage to my muscle tissue or worse my knee

flakey

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:d didn't think anyone would get it quite as quick, but you don't count coz you come from glasgow and have an obvious advantage!

First correct answer from someone in englandshire gets a prize, a haggis supper methinks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts