Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm into Week four of my couch to 5km training plan coolrunning.com and had my second walk/run of the week tonight, which meant I ran for 3mins and 5 mins x 2. And...drum roll...I really enjoyed it :d I put it down mainly to these three things:

New pair of trainers bought yesterday - Supernova Control 10 - they really made a difference. Apparently I have a naughty left foot so the very nice, very helpful and very patient man in the Run shop told me. I had to run along the street in 3 different pairs of trainers for a total of about 8 times. I didn't realise that I would also have to walk up and down (in the shop) with my trousers round my knees as if paddling at the seaside. I was a bit :embarrassed: at him seeing my stubbly legs! That man was so helpful. I know it was in his best interests because he wanted to make a sale but he was very encouraging about my progressing, especially as I'm definitely not a natural!!

Music - found a great track from Mark Ronson's Version CD called Apply Some Pressure. That really got me into a lovely rhythm and I didn't have it too loud that I wasn't aware of my surroundings, but loud enough to get me going :)

Run like a warrior - the tip from Cheriton really worked and made a huge difference. Thanks very much :)

I enjoyed that session so much I am thinking of doing the 5k Race for Life on 20 July as that should give me enough time to get fit for it. This is a big change from how I felt last night wondering what on earth possessed me to try running in the first place and how I could possibly justify spending the money on trainers when I'd probably give it up before the week was out, as my legs hurt so much just running up and down testing out the various shoes.

Thank you for the support you've given me so far and for reading my ramble!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Tortoise said:
I'm into Week four of my couch to 5km training plan coolrunning.com and had my second walk/run of the week tonight, which meant I ran for 3mins and 5 mins x 2. And...drum roll...I really enjoyed it :d I put it down mainly to these three things:

New pair of trainers bought yesterday - Supernova Control 10 - they really made a difference. Apparently I have a naughty left foot so the very nice, very helpful and very patient man in the Run shop told me. I had to run along the street in 3 different pairs of trainers for a total of about 8 times. I didn't realise that I would also have to walk up and down (in the shop) with my trousers round my knees as if paddling at the seaside. I was a bit :embarrassed: at him seeing my stubbly legs! That man was so helpful. I know it was in his best interests because he wanted to make a sale but he was very encouraging about my progressing, especially as I'm definitely not a natural!!

Music - found a great track from Mark Ronson's Version CD called Apply Some Pressure. That really got me into a lovely rhythm and I didn't have it too loud that I wasn't aware of my surroundings, but loud enough to get me going :)

Run like a warrior - the tip from Cheriton really worked and made a huge difference. Thanks very much :)

I enjoyed that session so much I am thinking of doing the 5k Race for Life on 20 July as that should give me enough time to get fit for it. This is a big change from how I felt last night wondering what on earth possessed me to try running in the first place and how I could possibly justify spending the money on trainers when I'd probably give it up before the week was out, as my legs hurt so much just running up and down testing out the various shoes.

Thank you for the support you've given me so far and for reading my ramble!
That's nice of you to say so Tortoise it gladens the heart to have a really positive post ,and any advice i gave worked phew !

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Tortoise said:
I enjoyed that session so much I am thinking of doing the 5k Race for Life on 20 July as that should give me enough time to get fit for it.
Don't think about it...enter asap!!:d

You'll enjoy the experience for sure.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Fantastic stuff Tortoise :d

Eugh... I feel soooo tired. I'm round at a mates house and we've now been playing 'Call of Duty 4' on the Playstation 3 for 12 hours straight - What a productive day!

- don't worry guys, I don't expect you oldies to understand what Call of Duty or a Playstation is :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
richardsimkiss said:

Eugh... I feel soooo tired. I'm round at a mates house and we've now been playing 'Call of Duty 4' on the Playstation 3 for 12 hours straight - What a productive day!

- don't worry guys, I don't expect you oldies to understand what Call of Duty or a Playstation is :p
I've just had a call of nature...is that the same sort of thing?:embarrassed: ;)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
richardsimkiss said:

At my age richard it's more like Call of Nature :embarrassed:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trin - how comes the title gives you the giggles? Have I inadvertantly used a rude word known only to hardened runners? ;)

Richard - have now booked onto the Race 4 Life 5K on 20 July :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
well as i normally run outside three times a week i decided to have a go on the treadmill at the gym today and see what i could do. The last time i tried before i started my running programme i could only just manage one minute, so i set off running on the treadmill and thought i would just carry on running without a walk break until i felt i needed to stop and walk, and surprised myself by running continuous for 30 minutes. It felt great, i will say that i do prefer running outside, but it was good to see how long i was running for and managed to do 2.7 miles. I thinkiit was due to Cheritons tip about holding my head up when running, it makes such as difference so thanks Cheriton for the good advice, it really helps a lot :d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts