Runners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- glad I found this site!
I’ve started running recently after previously playing football/running before taking up cycling. I ride/train between 5-10 hours a week consistently on the bike and have done so for the last 3 years and more general riding before that. I’ve wanted to get to some trail running and so have started running again- doing easy 5k’s at around 5km/min and after a few weeks started to do intervals at 4km/min for 1k reps. This pinged just calf good and proper and I realised I had gone way too much way too soon. I rested for a week, and on my return run it went again after about 30mins of very easy running. Rested it for 2 weeks with foam rolling/calf raises etc and started back doing 1min easy run, 2min walk. It lasted one attempt but went again today- nowhere near as bad as the times before as I stopped as soon as I felt it. To be fair I’ve done 3 hard days on the bike in a row and one easy run and although it doesn’t hurt my calf I guess it is still stressing it.
Do I just need to rest a bit more and do the easy plan (without the hard interval sessions on the bike before)?
I know it’s very difficult to know from the internet, but trying to gauge my next steps so to speak. I have a recovery week on the bike so planned it as a good time to do some easy walk/jogs. It is a sharp pain in the middle of my calf. I can still walk on it etc pain free

thanks for any help!
Sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve started running recently after previously playing football/running before taking up cycling. I ride/train between 5-10 hours a week consistently on the bike and have done so for the last 3 years and more general riding before that. I’ve wanted to get to some trail running and so have started running again- doing easy 5k’s at around 5km/min and after a few weeks started to do intervals at 4km/min for 1k reps. This pinged just calf good and proper and I realised I had gone way too much way too soon. I rested for a week, and on my return run it went again after about 30mins of very easy running. Rested it for 2 weeks with foam rolling/calf raises etc and started back doing 1min easy run, 2min walk. It lasted one attempt but went again today- nowhere near as bad as the times before as I stopped as soon as I felt it. To be fair I’ve done 3 hard days on the bike in a row and one easy run and although it doesn’t hurt my calf I guess it is still stressing it.
Do I just need to rest a bit more and do the easy plan (without the hard interval sessions on the bike before)?
I know it’s very difficult to know from the internet, but trying to gauge my next steps so to speak. I have a recovery week on the bike so planned it as a good time to do some easy walk/jogs. It is a sharp pain in the middle of my calf. I can still walk on it etc pain free

thanks for any help!
Sam

thanks for any help!
Sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recovery time depends on the severity of the injury. A typical grade I calf strain will heal in seven to 10 days. A grade II injury will heal in about four to six weeks. A grade III calf strain may take about three months.for more you can try meditation

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your calf strain. As the comment above states, they do take time to heal and healing time does depend on severity. With that said, the calf is one of the muscles that will re-injure often if you don't take care of it...and self care often doesn't do the trick. I would highly advise you to see someone who can get in there and loosen up the tightness, realign the muscle fibers, and clear out any stickiness that can develop from inflammation during an injury. From there, also working with someone to restrengthen/retrain the area is also advised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts