Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me here. I ran a 15km race two weeks ago in freezing conditions. I didn't stretch properly after the race and my legs were a little stiff. A few days later I starting getting pain in my calfs. I went to the doctor and he just said to rest and still continue walking around. I did a little rowing - not too hard the week after. Then, last weekend (two weeks later), I started getting vicious pains around my ankles and now I cannot stand without pain. My right leg is a little swollen. I went to the doctor this morning and he just strapped the leg and said to rest. Does anyone have any advice? I'm really frustrated because I really want to do some sport - swimming or cycling.

Thanks in advance guys!!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi Marjorie :)
If you're not like some of us here who can't even consider a few days' stop from running, then active rest can be a very good option - especially swimming.
If it starts hurtnig a bit you can always isolate the ankles (some sort of strapping with some small floater) and use mostly your arms.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Marjorie said:
I went to the doctor and he just said to rest and still continue walking around...
... I went to the doctor this morning and he just strapped the leg and said to rest.
Doctors?!:( Unless you have a running GP, a trip to a surgery is almost always going to be a waste of time. The "R" word (rest) is always going to be a safe bet for any doctor to use...they can't lose, can they. :rolleyes:

Physiotherapists/sports injury clinics maybe more useful (although more costly!)... Then again; you may get just the advice you need right here. ;)

Personally, I've always tried to "test" my injuries as often as possible. ( But I did used to have a "run at all costs approach"... Don't try this at home). ;)
Maybe a few jogging steps at first. "...Hmmm, did I get away with that...?"...Try and jog to the next junction? OK, maybe not. Try again tomorrow.
A lot comes down to common sense; how badly you want to run, and how much pain you can (or are prepared to) put up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I"m going to the physio tommorrow and will let you know what he said!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good news

Hey guys,

Good news - is just a calf muscle injury - from overworking the muscle. The physio was great and managed to loosen up my leg. Hope to be back running soon!!!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
That's quite good news Marjorie... No complications...

Like Richard said... really annoying but with some rest (active if possible) that will soon get better :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts