Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am somewhat of a worried bunny at the moment, so hopefully looking for a bit of advice\re-assurance.

Last Saturday I did my last 'long' run of 12 miles and around mile 8 I felt a peculiar 'ping\pop' in the back of my right calf. This was followed by a tightness and feeling of discomfort in calf but nothing overly painful so I carried on to complete the run.
(Please feel free to insert any relative admonishments here - suggested terms may include - idiot, fool and stupid.)

When I got back I stretched as usual and had my customary cold plunge. Rest of legs felt fine (as much as you could hope after first ever 12 miles) however started getting pain in lower calf and achilles and walking was a bit difficult especially down stairs. Also occasionally got a burning sensation in the big toe of my right foot, but I'm wondering whether this was down to the way I was walking to compensate for my achilles being tight and sore.

Anyhow a strict RICE regime followed and by Tuesday I was pain free and able to walk fine. So last night set out on my scheduled 7 miler, and although my right calf felt tight there was no pain so I trotted on, only for at about mile 6 to get a pain back in the calf, which I was able to run with to complete the 7, although it certainly wasn't comfortable.

I know the thing to do now would be to rest the leg however I have the Anglesey half coming up a week on Sunday, and as its my first ever I really don't want to miss it.

Therefore if I rest for the next few days should I attempt my weekend longish run or would it be ok to miss that one with a medium run next week to finish training. I am worried that this may affect my ability to run the half (although the sensible voice in my head says that after all the training to date missing one long run shouldn't really make any difference!).

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
personally i think this close to the race i dont think you would gain huge amounts by doing a long run the weekend before.. i would therefor say its better to rest and make sure your feeling good for the race.

it sounds like a muscle tweak, so as long as it dosnt cause you pain i would try and strech it 4-5 times a day. if they start hurting STOP!.

a soak in hot bath with some radox or similar can work wonders. failing that a massage can also help (but dont do this too close to the race)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im no expert on these things being a newbie runner/jogger/plodder although I would agree with the previous post. RICE it, take some analgesia ie brufen and even some topical treatment such as deep heat, ibruprofen gel.

Hope it mends pretty swiftly for you...how annoying

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Good advice from Beasty!

Keep stretching and massaging it to encourage repair... you should be looking to start tapering anyway so cut the mileage a bit, and have an easy week next week. Obviously don't overdo it, but I think total rest would see something go ping during the half :( it needs to be worked lightly imo ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi Bruce...

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a 'ping' in my calf. I've also had the brief 'burning' sensation, too. My osteopath reckoned it was my soleus that had tightened up and recommended that, during my warm up, I stand with my toes on a step and let my heels 'drop down' while keeping my back straight.

I swam in lieu of running during the following week and ran a 10k event on Sunday at a sensible pace. It's still a little tight now but, as others have said, keep stretching and working gently and don't overdo it!

We might be in two separate boats but I hope some of the above might prove vaguely useful :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys, have sensibly (that'll be a first for me!) managed to get a session booked with my sports physio this afternoon to give my legs the once over :'( so hopefully she will be able to have a better look to make sure all is OK.

Also taken a look at my remaining schedule and tempered it a bit, which still had me doing 10 miles on Sat and a 7 mile tempo on Weds for the Half on Sunday which even with my novice hat on seemed a little excessive. :nuts:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Maybe the injury/pain will be a blessing in disguise and make you rest up this week before the race.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts