Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been aware for a while that my calves are quite tight - I have been stretching them regularly but I had a massage today and it was very sore.

I normally either do 'downward facing dog' or I dangle my heels over the side of a step and I usually hold my stretches for about 30 seconds.

Does anyone know any effective means of getting calves to loosen up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you stretch your calves do you make sure that your foot is straight instead of slightly outward? I used to stretch my calves with my foot slightly outward, to give your calves a better stretch make sure your feet are slightly inward or straight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am having fun with my calf muscles as well.

I was told to do 3 different stretches for them. (Sorry if the descriptions arent very good - I will try to find better ones. :rolleyes: )

1. Place one leg in forward and one back, bend front knee feel stretch in back leg. Swap
2. One leg slightly in front of the other, on heel toes pointing up and bend back leg. Feel stretch in front leg. Swap
3. One foot in front of the other not very far apart. Bend both knees, feel stretch in back leg. Swap. You may need to relax into this one if you havent done it before.

I was already doing the first 2, but the third one was new and really helped.

I have also being doing some self massage on my calves, I treated myself to a massage bar from Lush. :d

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here's another calf stretch that might help (actually it stretches your buttocks and back too). If you can picture it, then from the side-view it looks as though you have formed an upside-down V-shape with hands and feet on the ground, and your buttocks forming the pinnacle at the top. It's a yoga pose called the downward-facing dog. Here it is:

1. Crouch on all fours with hands and feet placed shoulder-width apart. Move your feet back another 15cm or so.
2. Press down into your feet, lift your knees off the ground and straighten your legs. Lift your buttocks high. Press firmly into the ground with your hands.
3. Lower your heels towards the ground, but don't worry if they don't touch it.
4. Lengthen your back. Allow your head to hang freely.
5. Breathe evenly and hold the pose for about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Karen I do the downward facing dog regularly :))

Firekat - thanks the problem I find with stretched 1 & 2 in that in my right calf (the tighest one) I don't always feel the stretch but thanks for the last stretch - does that stretch the soleus? I might check out Lush.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did some yoga today, the warrior and the mighty pose might help. I really felt the stretch in my calves!:huh:

Im not sure which muscles that last one stretches, my personal running adviser (my friends hubby!) :embarrassed: is on holiday. He said that the stretch targets muscles that are normally forgotten but important for runners. And also hard to massage when tight/injured etc.

As for Lush I got the Wiccy Magic one - its cinnamon and lovely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts