Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wotcha,

Have not posted for a week or so, depressed and generally fed up with another injury, this time it seems to be on the inside of the leg between the shin and the calf muscle. Makes running on the road a near impossibility, running on grass is much easier but can still feel it.

I have used ice etc (bought new running shoes as well), and am currently rubbing in some of that Neurofen gel, this has ceretainly helped but is there anything else I could / should be doing.

Half Marathon in 5 weeks. :eek:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
That's bad news Granty.
I know someone with what sounds like an identical problem when running.They are a keen cyclist and it doesn't really affect them when riding.
Could it be shin splint related?
Have you tried cycling? As this will at least keep your aerobic fitness to a good level even if you lower your running mileage.
He had a break from the running for at least 4 weeks. This did improve it but the problem has not gone away totally. So don't rush back to high mileage or anything to strenuous if his experience is anything to go by.
I do know that he massages jointace gel in to the area before a workout and this helps.
My concern would be that it is only a short term benefit, masking a potentially long term problem if not dealt with. But I dont know! Get it checked out for your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HF - That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment, cycling - had a mountain bike for years and never really used it so I can (like you say) at least keep a level of fitness up for a while.

Bit worried about getting a long run in tho' - Not sure about shin splints - I assumed this was down the front of the shins ?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Sorry to hear Granty, hope you get this sorted out soon :( , on a lighter note good to hear you're back on the forum :d

TT

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twinkle toes said:
Sorry to hear Granty, hope you get this sorted out soon :( , on a lighter note good to hear you're back on the forum :d

TT
I know - I kinda missed not posting - how bizarre is that :eek: - must get help ................. !

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm not entirely sure that it can only be down the front Granty.
Perhaps someone else can confirm it.

Can you tell whether it is more specifically on the bone or the muscle or even achilles?

Do you get a pain when you do squats or stretch your calf? If you climb a ladder do you get pain. A strange question I know but I'm asking because this stretches the area further than if you climb stairs and may help to pinpoint the problem.

Remember though,I'm about as close to being a genuine Doctor as Doctor fox!
and won't be held responsible for any further injury!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trinity said:
Don't you mean you kinda missed posting or do you now kinda miss not posting :rolleyes:
I read it a few times and can't decide - so I'll go with both ! :d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Medial tibial stress syndrome usually get pain on the inner side of of the shin in the muscles if the pain or swelling was actually on the shin bone (like mine) it would be something else. Do you know any fizzs or sports therapists Granty this has been rumbling on for some time???

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning SE, I have booked an appointment with a sports therapists on Thursday morning, like you say, this has been going on for a while so I guess i need to get it sorted once and for all.

Spookily enough, managed 4 miles ok last night, bizarre !

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I managed 10 mins on the treadmill on Sunday so I'm going to try 15 mins tomorrow. I'm off up to Manchester again at the weekend so I might try 2-3 miles running outside. I need to go back to see the physio but I'm a bit busy again this week.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just back from the Physio and apparently I have very high arches that collapse on impact :eek:

She's fitted me with some orthics (not allowed to run for 5 days whilst they bed in) so hopefully things are about to improve, just off to buy a wobble board now !!:d

And the good news, she thinks I'll still be able to do the half marathon in 4 weeks time - yippee! :d :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Didn`t know you had a half marathon coming up.

Sub 2 hours this time I hope..............

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great news Granty there will be no stopping you now!!!!! :d yeah and go for that sub 2 hrs

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers all, I'm off for a week in Darthmouth now (You watch the weather change now), wobble board is packed (much more difficut than I had imagined !)

I think that running my sub 2hr might be a little beyond me for this one but you never know, just really hope that that these high heels that I'm wearing now in trainers help. - Rob, good to hear that this has worked for you.

Laters

G.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm assuming Granty is doing Bristol Half again which is sometime next month. I've been offered a job in Derby but not sure whether to accept it or wait for a job in Manchester.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts