Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't run since I was in primary school, but about a month ago I decided to get fit. In my first run I just about made it to the end of my road and had to walk back :embarrassed:

But now I already feel fitter and can run further without getting so tired. Whereas before I would stop because my lungs were about to explode, I am now stopping because my lower legs (not so much my calves but the part directly opposite them - I have no idea what they are called) hurt so much.:(

The other day, I'm late for my train so I run about 20 seconds to catch it - not out of breath in the slightest :d - would have been breathing heavly all the way home a month ago), but the front of my legs ached like anything - it hurt walking up the stairs for the rest of the night for crying out loud!?!

Now I want to get fitter, but I feel like my lower legs are holding me back. I knew that there would be pain but it feels like I'll do myself an injury if I continue pushing. Is there a way I can strenghten this part of me? Or do I have to push through this pain to strengthen them up??

Cheers
MAtty

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Do you mean your shins? Have you got proper running shoes from a running shop o are you running in an old apir of trainers or possibly somethng you picked up on the High Street?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running in an old pair of trainers. Will buying a proper pair of running shoes affect my shins that much? If so, what would be a good pair of (cheap) running shoes to get??

And yes I did mean my shins - I just thought there wouold be a more technical term for that muscle :huh:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
hi you may need to make sure your stretching enough but really i had this problem when i first started running but the more you keep at it, it will go away. This is if its just because the muscle isnt used to it. hope it goes well dont let it put you off hayley

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Matty,
You really, really need to go to your local running shop and get yourself sorted out with some proper running shoes. They may want to look at your old trainers and watch you run. I really can't advise on what sort of shoes you will need because I don't know if you will need a stability shoe, neutral shoe etc.

Its difficult to stretch the muscles around the shin. You can stretch your shin muscles when you do a quad stretch. Try and work your foot to your bum and tilt your pelvis forward slightly. Hold your stetches for 30 seconds.

·
Registered
664 Posts
SE is so right about getting the correct shoes. Almost 18 months running now after taking it up pretty late in life, and I put my injury free experience down to a combination of getting good shoes right at the start, and warming up and down every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts