Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I signed up for my first 10k, Cancer Research one in October.

Couple of etiquette questions, 1. Should you wear their t shirt? I get really hot in cotton t shirts! 2. How do they time you? Do you get a chip thing?

Looking forward to it, now I just have to figure out how to run 10k!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Damo,
Which one you doing? Ive just signed up for a CR 10k run as well. I would be interested to hear what people say about wearing their tshirts. Ive just got myself a proper running top and its great and don't really fancy going back to running in a cotton top especially if its hot!

O.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I'm doing Brighton.

Not sure about the T shirt still but did find an answer to my other question on their faq. See below.

17. Will Cancer Research UK provide me with my running time?

Cancer Research UK does not provide official timings for the runs, but there will be a clock on the start and finish line for you to note your own time.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've done two race for life 5ks and didn't wear the T shirt for either - amongst other things it means the partner can see me coming! The photos for 10k seem to suggest everyone wears the T shirt, but I don't think it matters.

As for timing, you'll need to do your own. My advice is to get as far to the front of the field as possible to start because otherwise you might spend five minutes fighting through crowds of people intending to walk the whole thing!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yeah you get lots of walkers even starting near the front, spent my whole time at the British 10k dodging people

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
My advice is to get as far to the front of the field as possible to start because otherwise you might spend five minutes fighting through crowds of people intending to walk the whole thing!
You are so right - and I also felt guilty about it! It is a great way to introduce people to running - and to be honest it was entering a Cancer Research 5k that got me started... but I was one of few in a technical top and the course doubled on itself so even if you started at the front, on the second lap, you were running through long grass at the side of the track (walkers groups sprawl!) ...then having to put up with tutting and cooing from silly women who were annoyed at the runners ('taking it a bit seriously' I believe I heard!):mad: I probably would have got away with it if I'd had all the names of ppl who are close to me who have had cancer posted on my back - but I didnt want sympathy - I just wanted to run!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I probably would have got away with it if I'd had all the names of ppl who are close to me who have had cancer posted on my back - but I didnt want sympathy - I just wanted to run!
Ye, never really understood why people want to do that. I have lost 2 grandfathers due to cancer but I don't feel the need to have their names on my back or even on my sponsorship website.

O.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I totally agree, folks.

I'm running the Cancer Research 10km at Strathclyde Park. A local cancer hospice is holding a 10km there this month too. At least some of my money will be going towards a local charity, as well as a national one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts