Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I am currently running 11k every other day and am looking to up this slowly. The problem is although my distance goes up I cannot get my times down. I seem to maintain the same pace no matter what distance I do. I have tried fartleks but just cannot maintain anything of any reasonable time before I cannot do any more. My average heart rate has dropped from 160 to about 150 during a run and it feels easier but still whenever I try to push I end up having to slow down to recover after only a short distance. Should I try a shorter run at a quicker pace mixed in with my 11k?. The good thing is though I no longer need to walk to recover if I get too much out of breath, slowing right down sees me ok.

·
Registered
50 Posts
we do short uphill sprints as fast as we can - on a very short hill and also sprints around a football pitch in my running club.. both of these when I combined them knocked about 20minutes off my marathon and also made it feel much easier.. I'd recommend very short distances with max effort, plus fartlek and intervals

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
CRB is right... if you don't get on with speed work (which I don't either) then do hill work instead, it has the same end result.

I persevered with years of speed work but never gained anything much from it so I switched. Within 6 months of regular specific hill training sessions I was getting big PB's

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, thought I might have been the only one. I have a hill nearby so ill give it a go. Its the perfect distance away to have warmed up for it aswell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you did the fartlek were you really slowing down enough during the recovery phase?
When we do them on a club run many people seem to have little difference between the sprint and the recovery.
Slow the recovery right down - just above walking speed if necessary and you'll be able to keep them up for longer.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Glad you posted this momorris - I don't seem to be able to do speed either! Seem to be able to up my distances without too much hass.e, but of I try to up my speed instead I can't manage it.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
janeho said:
When you did the fartlek were you really slowing down enough during the recovery phase?
When we do them on a club run many people seem to have little difference between the sprint and the recovery.
Slow the recovery right down - just above walking speed if necessary and you'll be able to keep them up for longer.

Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also a huge fan of speeding up the hills, nothing better for me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Janeho you may well have hit the problem, I was speeding up to a fast pace then trying to recover at normal or just slightly slower. Ill introduce the methods and try to control my speed a bit more. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
slightly off topic, building up to do first marathon in nov should i continue concentrating with building up distance or throw in some of these other training types?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Although I haven't done a marathon yet, I would say that every once in a while some speed training might help you improve, gavsrunning. It also helps you not to get bored after some time. :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Very true but take it easy when you start with speedwork....it's all to easy to pick up an injury.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
my legs are still hurting from sprints last week, mind you not done them for a long long time. My little legs can only go so fast I came last each time:mad:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
dimple said:
. My little legs can only go so fast I came last each time:mad:
That may be so but you are still quicker, and fitter, than Joe Public :d

1 - 14 of 14 Posts