Runners Forum banner

cant run any further?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  joeslifeyork 
#1 ·
the other week i ran for 60 mins and i havent been able to do it again!!!! 35 mins at most,i keep getting stiches and breathless,i just cant do it and its really frustrating!!!
how can i go further?:mad:

#3 ·
Sounds like you are running too quick, I had a similar situation whereby I could run at a good pace for say 45 mins and then suffered from blinding headaches etc.

I slowed down from then onwards and was able to run for much longer.

I also found running with a watter bottle helped my headaches midway round, must have been dehydrating.

#5 ·
Hi Monkey,
I've been returning to running from injury and been using walk/run technique. I've been plagued with stitches as well, which I used to suffer with a lot when I first started running. I find that if I slow down they do ease also try modifying your breathing technique. Some people recommend raising your arms like an aeroplane.

#7 ·
stiches

I only took up running a couple of months ago and also get stitches - i found that if you can, alternate the feet you are stepping with when you breathe in (ie breathe in for two paces and out for three) - the altenate stepping thing changes which side has the most downward force on it and so helps prevent stitches (which are almost always side-specific) in some cases - works for me. Slowing down, but not stopping entirely and massaging/applying pressure just below the rib cage on the side thats stitched also seems to help - though I'm not a doctor so don't know if this is recommended!

#9 ·
Ive started using a platypus (one of those backpack things you can store water in), when i run with that i can go much further and at a consistently faster pace than if i havent got water onboard!

probably not the most stylish running accessory but seems to help on the longer stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.